Shoes

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Shoes

Postby vvanesse59 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 am

My practice Yang @ Sun taiji both have spin kick movements and I practice at home with sock feet or the cotton bottom slipon shoes making the turns easyas the foot don't stick and cause so much torque on the knee and leg . I do have Addidas and Puma shoes for outside and when I practice at school. Problem there with sticking down causing enough torque that I cause knee pain. Wspecially bad on blacktop and concrete park walkways. Can anyone tell me if the Feiyue shoes rubber soles would work better as I read that the soles seem very thin???? Or any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Vic
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Re: Shoes

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 am

I used to have that problem. Try not having all of your foot in contact with the ground when turning. Reduce contact zone.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby tkc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:08 am

The Feiyues are fine once they wear down a little (depending on the floor surface, of course), but you'd need to be a bit careful f they're brand new. The good news is they wear down quickly.

Some of the barefoot style shoes have soles that aren't quite as 'gummy' or soft as the Feiyues, but are still thin enough to give a good ground feel. I have a pair of Merrell Vapor Gloves that I practice in (on a polished wooden floor), and apart from being a bit narrow for my feet they perform well.
tkc
Forum User

Postby Sanfung » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Someone recently suggested to me to try Jika-Tabi. Those are the split toed shoots that evolved out of traditional Japanese footwear in order to produce relatively modern industrial shoes, and are sometimes used when training in traditional Japanese martial arts.

Would these be a good idea to have in addition to a pair of Feiyu? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread at all but when I read Vic's post I really related. Wearing regular shoes can certainly cause enough torque to cause discomfort, especially on blacktop and concrete like Vic said.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 am

Tabi are great, why not? I also recommend those yogi-toes in off hours for foot health.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan