Groin, range of motion

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Groin, range of motion

Postby RingAndReed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm looking at bunch of videos about a few postures, snake creeps down and embrace the tiger (just before closing), and it seems that what is important is to keep the back vertical while crouching down - and it seems like the trick to that is to spread the legs and keep one straight.... In other words, almost the split.

Now, the 70% rule and my physiotherapist put together would indicate to me that I can't sink down very low at all. I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on a lot by not even being able to sink to knee level.

Do you think there's a way for a middle-aged man (who was never very flexible) to stretch out the groin over time? What are the things to be careful of and what might be signs of improvement?

Thanks!
Robin Tropper
M.A.Sc., B.Mus.
http://TaichiAdventure.blogspot.ca
RingAndReed
Forum User

Re: Groin, range of motion

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:12 am

Just do what you can. If you can slowly build strength at your 70% as it is now your future 70% of maximum may be more. There are a few movements you can do to open the hips. Try to practice that part of the form on both sides for a start.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby chh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:42 am

^^^What he said!

I also think that *gradually* lengthening your stances in the form, making sure to really complete each movement, can be a big help.

It's pretty easy to lengthen your stance and then suddenly start having your back heel come up, or your hips not square off all the way before starting the next move. That probably eliminates a lot of the benefit to flexibility in the groin and waist.
chh
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:30 pm

google some full lotus and hip stretches ;) how low you actually go is not as important as how smoothly you get there!
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan