Essence of taiji qigong wai dan standing meditation question

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Essence of taiji qigong wai dan standing meditation question

Postby phore » Wed May 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Hello,

I have recently bought the book and dvd of "The essence of Taiji Qigong" by Dr. Yang.

I am curious as to why the particular postures included in the waidan standing meditation were chosen.

The postures are embracing the moon right and left side, and holding up the heavens.

I have been introduced to standing meditation previously.
The two most common ones i have encountered are wuji (natural posture) and holding the ball (embracing the moon with a centered stance)

It seems to me from the perspective of the symbolic effect that the postures have on the mind of the practicioner that the wuji posture is very important.
It even says in the dvd that the purpose of the taiji qigong is to bring about a state of wuji, and wuji is included in every set of exercises at the beginning and end.

Also I am looking at the use of embracing the moon in a right and left weighted stance. I was familiar with this posture (sometimes called the taichi posture, hugging the tree, or great circle stance), but only in a centered stance.

It seems to me that this stance presented in the way that it is in the "essence of Taiji Qigong" Might be symbolic of the division of yin and yang.
I personally have found that placing all of the weight on one leg is much more strenuous that standing on two legs. It seems to me that this set of stances would build the structural muscles to a greater degree than the centered posture.

Thank you for your help.
Love and Light
Tony
phore
Forum Newbie

Re: Essence of taiji qigong wai dan standing meditation ques

Postby Dvivid » Fri May 23, 2014 11:17 am

Hi, I only have a minute right now, but...

Where there is muscular tension, your circulation is stagnant and "trapped". So, the standing leg will build internal energy/external strength. But the unweighted leg, energy will be more abundant. So, by shifting the weight, you create 'potential difference' which encourages energy to circulate.

Hope this helps.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Re: Essence of taiji qigong wai dan standing meditation ques

Postby phore » Fri May 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Thank you,
I am planning on ordering the understanding qigong series next. Maybe that will help me understand the logos behind this system.
phore
Forum Newbie

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan