taiji ball

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

taiji ball

Postby susu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

Hello, I'm planning to get a handcrafted taiji ball from our lokal wood turner. Now I'm not so sure which diameter this ball should have. I think 9 inches would be good. The turner told me it would be about 6.5 pounds. Is that an appropriate size and weight for a taiji ball? I'm a small woman but strong. Bye from Switzerland susu
susu
Forum Regular

Re: taiji ball

Postby yeniseri » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 pm

As close as possible to this site:

http://ymaa.com/articles/taiji-ball-qigong-training

But in some other sources, it is the size of the ball for the height and weight of the individual.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby susu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Thank you very much! That helps a lot. So I think the weight compared to the size I chose is ok for me.
Byebye from Switzerland susu
susu
Forum Regular

Postby joeblast » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:19 am

I've been thinking of having one made also...I have a tree that needs to come down in my back yard, I think a portion of the trunk would make a good one. thx for the link, yc!
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Sanfung » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Were you planning on making one yourself out of that tree trunk? If you do, could you post some photos of it Joeblast? I would love to see that!
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:33 pm

YMAA Publication Center is discussing a way to finally make nice wooden Taiji Balls available. We just haven't found reliable manufacturers, and a lot of people ask us frequently for them. Will keep you posted.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Sanfung » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Were there ever any updates on this Dvivid? I would be interested in purchasing a fine wooden Taiji ball if the option were available through the YMAA website. I hadn't heard anything yet, though, so I wasn't sure if anything had gone down yet.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Yes.

After some delay, we do now have a limited supply of wooden Tai Chi Balls available:
http://ymaa.com/publishing/balls/taichi (arriving July 2)

These are hand made individually from kiln-dried laminated wood, then finished with a natural wax and packaged in a reusable box.

The Beginner Ball is 2-3 lbs, 6" diameter, made of poplar.
Intermediate Ball is 4-5 lbs, 7” diameter, made of red oak.
Advanced Ball is 7-8 lbs, 8” diameter, made of oak, with a darker stain.

The process of making a Tai Chi ball out of wood is difficult and poses several technical challenges. But we have found the best available source, made in the USA. These balls are made by gluing several pieces of wood together, which reduces the tendency of the ball to crack as it ages and dries. The traditional method of making a ball from a single piece of wood is difficult to accomplish, and can't be done in bulk or for an affordable price.

Those interested in "internal" training will need to work a bit harder to pass their Qi through the wood and glue, although you may hold it sideways also.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby kippo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 am

Are the balls only available to ship in the USA? I live in canada and would love to order one.

Thank you
"The things you own ends up owning you"
-Tyler Durden-
kippo
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Kippo,

Yes, they'll start shipping tomorrow. You can order at the same link, but the flat-rate shipping is only domestic U.S. So, you'll have to pay your actual shipping cost of course.

thanks

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Sanfung » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Dvivid, I had wanted to thank you for that update back in July. I probably should have written right away, but I received mine shortly after you had announced they'd start shipping. I received a preorder form in my email inbox and made sure to get one then.

I have the intermediate sized ball, and I actually had wanted to say that the glue you mentioned isn't nearly as much of a problem as I had thought. That being said, this is clearly a superior tool for internal training compared to what I've been working with so the change seems huge.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:59 am

Yes, the glue is actually irrelevant, since you can just hold the ball sideways, and pass only through the wood, between the layers.

Glad to hear it. We have more stock coming soon in September.

Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan