Question of Lineage

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Question of Lineage

Postby Sanfung » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I was a bit confused by a lineage chart I came across on Google Books, and I was hoping that someone far more knowledgeable than I in such matters could set me straight. The chart at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6toDAA ... &q&f=false

shows Chen Qing Ping teaching who I presume to be Woo Yu-Hsiang (Wu Yu-Xiang). From there on, the lineage continues under the Woo Style name.

Chen Qing Pin is also shown as training Li Ye Yu, who then trained Hao Wei-chen. That is shown as creating the Hao Style of T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

I was under the impression that the lineage followed Woo Yu-Hsiang training Li Ye Yu. Hao Wei-chen was then the student of Li Ye Yu, hence why many modern commentators call it the Wu (Hao) or Woo/Hao style of T'ai Chi Ch'uan. This chart shows them as unique styles.

I still consider myself a rank beginner, and therefore feel that I have missed something. Can anyone set me straight?

Thank you.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Re: Question of Lineage

Postby yeniseri » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:32 am

It is mainly intellectual straining at its worst!
You look for an instructor or student who know what he is doing and is good at teaching concepts as opposed to looking at a lineage chart. Personally, lineage chart only, and usually pertains to the main inheritors. Wu/Hao is usually a designation since it was Hao Weizhen who taught Sun Lutang so in that sense (I guess) Hao taught and brought into the Wu fold many adepts.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Question of Lineage

Postby Sanfung » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I was merely discussing historical figures and was not using this to judge any present teacher. Rather, I was merely interested in learning whether I misunderstood some of the history. From what you said, though, my understanding of Hao Weizhen is accurate.

That being said, you made a very good about intellectual straining. It is something I have been guilty of on more than one occasion. I remember hearing the important aphorism:

Practice instead of theorize; thinking about eating does not satisfy your appetite.

It is something that deserves to be repeated for sure.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan