Great taijiquan exposition

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Great taijiquan exposition

Postby Josh Young » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm

http://brennantranslation.wordpress.com ... ji-da-wen/

I really like this question and answer work about taiji, it's author is the student of Chengfu who's transmission initiated me into taijiquan. It contains in detail a lot of good information.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Re: Great taijiquan exposition

Postby wpgtaiji » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Hey Josh.

I recall, one time you chastised me for suggesting that Frame was not a constant. I suggested that as one progresses, the form gets smaller, and you said i was full of it. I think you should read your "master's" work again,
A Taiji Boxing essay [Understanding How to Practice] says: “First strive to open up, then strive to close up.” Once you are very skillful, then your stepping and hand techniques can all be shrunken in, for they are now fully understood by your mind and are a part of your body.
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 pm

You have my permission to quote me in any sentence I wrote that in and share it here to prove your point. I don't recall ever writing that.

I do recall saying that there is a by the numbers method for the form.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby baihe shifu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 am

Josh, "by the numbers?" Sorry but that implies and almost dead in the water approach to me. Taiji or any other internal art is never simply "by the numbers". We are talking about a form of Martial Arts that deals with Shen-fa (Body-Feel). Like our White Crane Gōng​fu its highly internal, flowing and driven by Yì 意 (Intent) of the Xīn 心 (Heart / Mind) and embodied within Sōng 松 (Relaxed Energy) to manifest and express Qi 氣.
baihe shifu
Forum Addict

Postby Josh Young » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:55 am

baihe shifu wrote:Josh, "by the numbers?" Sorry but that implies and almost dead in the water approach to me. Taiji or any other internal art is never simply "by the numbers".

I find it interesting that you state taiji is never simply by the numbers, I agree. I wrote in the post you are speaking of that there is a by the numbers way of doing the form. I am sure you would not conflate a single form with taijiquan as a martial art, nor do I. However there are specific things which involve set measure in some aspects and training methods of taijiquan, but that is still not to say that taijiquan or any other internal art is simply by the numbers as you clearly know.

Most martial art systems have standardized methods in one way or another, in some schools of taijiquan there is a standardized form. This does not prevent the art from being adaptive, it facilitates it. This happens a lot in life, take language for instance, there are by the numbers ways of spelling words, this type of standardized methodology facilitates inexhaustible expression, taijiquan is not different than this.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby wpgtaiji » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Josh, my apologies! I have gotten grief from you, that i just amalgamated all the grief into one! I reread where i thought it was, and you are correct. IT wasn't you!
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan