Is Hwa Yu Tai Chi Worth Learning?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Postby Isadore » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:10 pm

I have read a book on Hwa Yu Tai Chi aka. Liu He Ba Fa written be Glenn Newth. the book is not bad. While I admire and respect Dr, Yang, I do not want to drive to Boston to learn from him regularly; I live in Connecticut. I believe that the book have unfairly received some negative comments on Amazon.com. This art looks like it would add to my yang style tai chi. Glenn Newth has a school close to me, and I plan to check out his school in the near future. My question: Is Hwa Yu Tai Chi Worth Learning?

:?:
Isadore
Forum Newbie

Re: Is Hwa Yu Tai Chi Worth Learning?

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Liu He Ba Fa is a highly respected internal style and you are lucky if you a near a qualified teacher.It is an advanced martial art best practised once you know some IMA.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/books/intern ... er_secrets

I don't know if the guy you mentioned is qualified or not.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yeniseri » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Isadore wrote:I have read a book on Hwa Yu Tai Chi aka. Liu He Ba Fa written be Glenn Newth. the book is not bad. While I admire and respect Dr, Yang, I do not want to drive to Boston to learn from him regularly; I live in Connecticut. I believe that the book have unfairly received some negative comments on Amazon.com. This art looks like it would add to my yang style tai chi. Glenn Newth has a school close to me, and I plan to check out his school in the near future. My question: Is Hwa Yu Tai Chi Worth Learning?

:?:

I hope that you are an adult (i.e. capable of making observations and coming to a 'proper' conclusion) but visiting the person, observing, asking question, etc and then making a choice is sensible! Why not?
Are you looking for performance art, martial, etc then any choice is a good choice if that is what you want. Having someone choose for you is at best, third rate and unpredictable if you value their choice over yours. If you both agree then that should be secondary!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Isadore » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 pm

I just wanted to let this site know that I tried Hwa Yu Tai Chi with Glenn Newth in Hartford, Connecticut for four months. This school was not for me. I believe that Glenn Newth is a Karate expert turned Tai Chi Master. After my experience with Hwa Yu Tai Chi, I have started taking Tai Chi lessons with a Chinese Martial Arts grandmaster in Kung Fu and Tai Chi in New York periodically. I believe I have the teacher for me. :D
Isadore
Forum Newbie

Postby Sanfung » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I did a little searching on Glenn Newth, because I wasn't too familiar with him. He does seem to be very accomplished for sure, and you may be right about his original work being in Karate. I found a profile where he stated that he had experience as the senior instructor in a Yon Chuan Karate program.

Reading this post left me with another question if you don't mind. Why is Liuhebafach'uan referred to as Hwa Yu T'ai Chi? I was actually under the impression that although related and compatible, it actually follows a different and independent evolutionary path than T'ai Chi Ch'uan has.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan