Repeating Simplified Yang Form?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Repeating Simplified Yang Form?

Postby fit155 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I am new to practicing T'ai Chi and am using the Simplified Tai Chi Chuan with Applications by Liang, Shou-Yu video to learn the form.

In this video and other demonstrations of the form that I've seen, it seems like the complete form is completed in about 5 minutes once you know all the postures.

When you know all the postures, are you suppose to keep repeating the routine until you've exercised for 15, 20, 30+ minutes, or is it meant to be completed just once?

I am practicing T'ai Chi for general health, with a focus on inner and physical balance :)
fit155
Forum Addict

Re: Repeating Simplified Yang Form?

Postby yeniseri » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 pm

fit155 wrote:I am new to practicing T'ai Chi and am using the Simplified Tai Chi Chuan with Applications by Liang, Shou-Yu video to learn the form.

In this video and other demonstrations of the form that I've seen, it seems like the complete form is completed in about 5 minutes once you know all the postures.

When you know all the postures, are you suppose to keep repeating the routine until you've exercised for 15, 20, 30+ minutes, or is it meant to be completed just once?

I am practicing T'ai Chi for general health, with a focus on inner and physical balance :)

I am not sure of your practice routine but taijiquan has a weird practice format today that involves learning the form and that is it. One practice schedule is as follows:
1. Basic introduction of individual postures. Example brush knee, wave hands, etc , say 2-3 minuetes.
2. Holding postures by whatever concept, word usage, as in zhanzhaung, taijizhuang, ding shi.
Holding ball, hands strum lute, wuji postures, single whip, etc
3. Some level of testing posture; Students holds a posture and teacher pushes at angles to see if the posture is right.
4. Basic level of tuishou, single, double and free style
5. Actual form in various heights. high, middle and modified low posture
6. Play with the form within the confines of what you understand!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan