Push hands classes

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Push hand DVDs?

Postby DC_Tai_Chi » Wed May 25, 2005 6:38 pm

Can anyone recommend any websites, vendors, or DVDs that display push hands practice? I recently began practicing push hands at my school and would like to find a good DVD of push hand from which to learn and observe. Or does anyone know if YMAA will be producing such a DVD in the near future?

I know there are many VHS tapes around, but I do not possess a VCR at the moment.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Respect the Art and respect the Teacher and you will naturally receive the true transmission.

--Y'ang Ch'eng Fu
DC_Tai_Chi
Forum Newbie

Postby 5AnimalTom » Thu May 26, 2005 11:08 am

Honestly, I recommend spending the money on classes or advertisements looking for other players. Personally, I feel it's almost impossible to truely learn much about push hands, let alone Tai Chi, any way but face to face.

Until VR suits, anyway. :wink:
Not all still waters run deep. Some merely lack the passion to flow.
5AnimalTom
Forum Addict

Postby DC_Tai_Chi » Thu May 26, 2005 12:22 pm

Personally, I feel it's almost impossible to truely learn much about push hands, let alone Tai Chi, any way but face to face.

I completely agree with you on that 5AnimalTom: books or videos are no substitute for a credible instructor and for classmates with dedication and consistency in their practice. If used, they should only be viewed as supplements to personal instruction. But are you saying that you wouldn't or don't find even observing video of others practicing the form or push hands valuable as a learning aid at all?

I'm not sure I agree with that; observing others has always been an important aspect of learning--granted we should not resort to watching videos when a fully capable instructor is available within reach, but if one is unable to observe a master in person why not watch him or her on film? If nothing else it can inspire you to work towards such a level of skill.

What are people's thoughts on this question?

It may be the case that watching others perform push hands requires a more careful eye given it is not regimented and organized like the form but an interaction with another person, but I still believe observing real masters can provide useful insights and inspiration--even if it's only film.
Respect the Art and respect the Teacher and you will naturally receive the true transmission.

--Y'ang Ch'eng Fu
DC_Tai_Chi
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Fri May 27, 2005 8:08 am

Dr. Yang has a set of 4 VHS on Pushing Hands. You can learn a lot from them:

http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/exmararvid.html
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan