To Dvivid - Taijiquan Order of study guide

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

To Dvivid - Taijiquan Order of study guide

Postby sengtsan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Dvivid,

I have seen that you had set up an order of study guide in the home page of Publishing section.

I may be wrong, but I have seen that the Tai chi Ball book was missing in the list. The dvds are mentioned but not the book. Is it just a missing or is there any reason for this?

Best regards,
sengtsan
sengtsan
Forum Addict

Re: To Dvivid - Taijiquan Order of study guide

Postby Dvivid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:05 am

Hi, thanks for pointing this out. It is just an oversight and will be corrected soon.

I think actually we made this list before that book was published last year?

Any other questions about the order, or ranking?

Tai Chi Guide
http://ymaa.com/publishing/start-here/tai-chi-chuan

We also have this Qigong Guide
http://ymaa.com/publishing/start-here/qigong
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby vvanesse59 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:59 pm

In looking over the dvd list, I find: /TaiChi for Beginners and it appears to be instructional dvd for the 108 form. Then I go further on the list and find Taichi Classical Yang Style (long form taijiquan) 108 form: if I read this last one correctly it also is an instructional dvd for the 108 form. My question is are they both instructional and one could actually learn the 108 Yang form or am I reading to much into them? I like the content listed of the latter one and note that it has even more information about taijiquan than the one listed under basic so just curious what is there/not there if that makes any sense. Thanks, Vic
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:08 am

Dr. Yang's new "Yang Tai Chi for Beginners" DVD is very different from his previous tai chi programs. This 5-hour program was filmed in high definition at his new home in California at the YMAA Retreat Center and in the nearby redwood forest. This video is very much like having a one-on-one private class with Master Yang. It contains step-by-step instruction of the complete long Yang-style tai chi form in detail, explaining the exact position of the hands and feet for each movement. It includes solo demonstration of the form by Master Yang in the early morning in front of a mist-filled valley, and group demonstration by Dr. Yang and his CA students. It also includes a rear-view of the form that is easy to follow along with once you have learned the form, and Master Yang's commentary on some classical Tai Chi poetry.

The older Tai Chi Chuan Classical Yang Style video is a demonstration-only overview of the basic concepts of Tai Chi. It begins with Dr. Yang explaining the relationship between Taiji Philosophy and the martial art of Tai Chi Chuan. It contains demonstrations by Master Yang of the 13 Basic Patterns, the stationary and moving Taiji Qigong form, and the complete Yang style form without detailed verbal instruction. So this one is meant to be an overview of the whole art, whereas the other just focuses on the form itself.

Personally, to learn the form Id get "Yang Tai Chi for Beginners".
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby vvanesse59 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Dvivid I have another naive question to ask about the 5 hr dvd Taichi for beginners. It has to do with: it lists it as 113 "long form" form, other "long forms" list 108. Can you tell me the difference or is it just as simple as the way it is "counted", or are there truly different sequences and number of forms?
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi, It is the 108 form.

Dr. Yang counts it as 113 because he counts the transition forms separately. Same old Yang form.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan