Yi

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Yi

Postby fazhou » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Hello all. I understand that the subject may be complicated, but just so that my western mind can grasp the concept a little better, would it be safe to roughly equate the concept ( or more accurately, the practice) of Yi as "visualization, imagination"? I am wondering about Chi following Yi and not necessarily Yi Chuan, xing yi, or other arts named Yi but the concept. Any help in aiding my understanding of "Yi" would be greatly appreciated. I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific and don't have access to any Sifu or teacher so I am looking forward to your responses. Thanks.
fazhou
Forum Contributor

Postby Maestromap » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:35 pm

This is what I gather from my understanding of qigong theory.

Yi is the wisdom mind. The mind that knows better. When you are in a confrontation the Yi is the voice in the back of your head that says "don't fight, its not worth it, walk away".

The Xin is the mind generated from emotional disturbance. It's usually the one that gets you in trouble. In the same confrontation as above your Xin tells you "lets fight, I'll show this guy what I'm made of."

I hope this helps. If someone out there knows better than me by all means correct me.

Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:12 pm

where the mind goes the energy goes

attention has energy, intention has energy

by focusing the energy of being with the mind
all things are accomplished

simple yet profound
don't let the mind wonder or wander
or your energy scatters...

think of your finger tips
can you feel them?
can you change the way they feel with mind?

for example, can you make them feel more relaxed?
the mind affects the body in profound ways
because it directs the energy of being

can you be conscious of your mind the way you are of your fingertips?
if your mind can grasp an idea, can you examine the part that holds on or grasps the idea? can you see the fingers of the mind?, to use a metaphor

you have different energies in you, they move about according to cycle and function, but can also be affected by your mind, sort of like how you can take a breath without thinking about it, but by using your mind you can change how you breathe, making it slower or deeper, or faster or even pausing it
this mind that focuses on the breath, on the hand, this attention can direct energy, thought itself is not to be underestimated in its energy content.

just because it is in your mind doesn't mean it isn't in the real world
have faith and play with it
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:06 pm

I know you are not thinking about Xing Yi but the Yi in the name is what your talking about, you visualise moving objects with grate force in training wile remaining relaxed and soft and so develop your capacity for power in true action.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Welcome Fazhou!

Here is Dr. Yang's writing on Yi - the wisdom mind.

"Xin and Yi are the Dao of Taijiquan. From the Xin and Yi’s Yin, the Yang actions can be manifested externally. However, the students should also know that Xin and Yi themselves also have Yin and Yang. Xin is Yang, active, emotional, confused, floating, and uneasy. Yi is Yin, calm, wise, condensed, sunken, and steady. Xin is the motor force while the Yi is the steering wheel. From Xin, the emotion is agitated, the spirit is raised, and from Yi, the discrimination is clear and the spirit is condensed. One Yin and one Yang mutually apply to each other. In this case, the spirit can be high, yet condensed. The Spirit of Vitality can be uprising.

According to Chinese concepts, we have two minds. One is the emotional mind which is called Xin () while the other is the wisdom or logic mind which is called Yi (). Xin makes you excited, sad, happy, and is emotional while Yi makes you calm and offers you logical thinking. Because of this, the Xin is classified as Yang while Yi is classified as Yin. Yang offers you the power while Yi controls how the power is manifested. In Chinese Qigong society Xin is compared to a monkey while Yi is compared to a horse. That is why Xin-monkey and Yi-horse (Xin Yuan Yi Ma, ) are often shown in ancient documents.
If there is only Xin without the Yi’s presentation, then, though the emotion and the motor force are high and strong, (you) may expose (yourself) and offer an opportunity for (your) opponent. In this case, you are fighting with emotion. However, if there is only Yi without Xin, then though the Yi is concentrated and the decisions are clear, due to the emotion (i.e., fighting spirit) being low, the fighting morale will not be high. (In this case, you) can be subdued by the fear of (your) opponent’s killing awe. From the above, (we) know that the (real) Dao is that Yin and Yang mutually apply to, mutually assist, and mutually harmonize with each other. That means the Dao of Taiji is the mutual harmonization of the Xin and Yi.

When you are in a conflicting condition with your opponent, you will need your Xin to raise up the fighting morale and also need your Yi to make a clear judgement and logical decision. Without these two minds’ mutual coordination and harmonization, you will lose the fight. This theory can also be applied into your life. You will need both your Xin and Yi to make your life vigorous, harmonious, and wise."
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby fazhou » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Thank you all for the great replies. I really do appreciate it.
fazhou
Forum Contributor

Postby fazhou » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:57 am

In addition to all of your great responses I also found this article which I found very interesting and thought you might enjoy.

http://seattlesilverdragon.wordpress.co ... tial-arts/
fazhou
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

thanks for the link!
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan