Course of Study for Taiji

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Course of Study for Taiji

Postby jutsuka » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I am returning to practice after a long hiatus and am trying to determine which order to use the following books. I am comfortable with the form

Tai Chi Chuan - Classical Yang Style
The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung
Taiji Chin Na
Tai Chi Chuan Martia Applications
Ti Chi Theory and Martial Power
Shaolin White Crane
Taijiquan Theory

Any Suggestions would be appreciated!!
jutsuka
Forum Newbie

Postby Inga » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:44 am

That's great you are beginning to practice again. Are you more interested in the internal style? I would say there is no "order" in which to look at the books. You have a great reference collection there! You have books which will help you with the form and the theory. I recommend doing some qigong (chi kung) before your taijichuan. I am primarily a shaolin student (white crane and long fist) but have just begun taiji this year. I find the martial applications extremely useful while learning the movements and it helps me grasp the flow. Chin na of course is for training with a partner, although you can read how the applications can be found in the form. I dip into my books all the time, to check on something or follow up a new concept and take it deeper. I also tend to read more when I have an injury and can't train as hard as I normally would wish to, it helps me feel I am not slacking : ) Also, feeding the mind as well as coaxing the body I think gives good balance to my overall goal of improving within myself, to the best of my ability. I am an older student, I came to Shaolin (and Taijiquan) late, I will never be a kung fu master, but, I can be better than I was last month, than I was last week. Everyday I can improve. And my health has benefited tremendously. Good luck with your training, and if you can get into a YMAA school, for regular classes or seminars, I think you'll find it extremely worthwhile..plus you'll find a willing chin na partner !
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Josh Young » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Tai Chi Theory and Martial Power,
this is about the only one I would use
I would be careful about combining hard/external styles with soft internal styles, it is like trying to step in two directions at once, many people do it, but they can only move in one of the directions, not both.

It is very common to find taiji form and image with external power and Li-jing, some very skilled instructors do this. You have to ask yourself what you want out of it.

While you ask yourself that, ask why Yang Luchan's taiji is not the same as Chen, or why no students of Yang Luchan who started styles practice the same taiji as Luchan himself. There will come a time when you either imitate or develop.

Do you want to be a student who pales in comparison to your teacher, or one who excels them? Find your center.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan