Internal Martial artists in the South of England?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Internal Martial artists in the South of England?

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:36 pm

I am wondering how to meet good training partners in the UK in the south as I am looking to work on partner drilling from this summer.

Any ideas of good places to look? Any informal groups of practitioners already meeting?

My experience of internal arts is relativity small compared to my experience of soft hard arts but I do have some Taiji grounding and the basics of Iliqchuan, a bit of white crane martial chi gong and would love to study Bagua and Hsing I, as and when I have the opportunity.

In honesty I only know about a third of the long Yang form so I may be to basic for many people although I do have over ten years TMA training in general and a have built up some sensitivity with WC sticking hands that has translated well to other arts.

Any ideas? I know I need to increase my competence and will attend classes and seminars but I have always found that regular meetings with people who have similar goals helps. How to meet people who have the right constructive attitude to training however is not an easy thing. I don't need a partner who only wants to win.

Any Ideas how to achieve this? Also how to avoid nut cases?

lol asking this on a web forum is probably asking for the nuts.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

south coast training

Postby brightonwill » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Hello mate, there is quite a big IMA scene in Brighton, you will find people training all sorts in most parks in the mornings! My school is based in Brighton we are training Sam Masich stuff who was taught by Yang Jwing Ming amongst other great masters. Sam comes over for weekend workshops here too, in fact we are doing four hands and moving step this weekend. my teacher here Is Simon Robins the school is tai chi wisdom. anyway let me know if you coming this way and we can try and meet up.
cheers
Will
brightonwill
Just Arrived

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 am

Connect with the YMAA schools in the UK and you'll find serious training partners

http://ymaa.com/training/schools/ymaa-london
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:53 am

That was the plan. I am with YMAA Warsaw (Poland) at the moment but when I am back in the UK I was going to try and drive to London on the weekend for training although its over a two hour drive. I was hoping to find more local training partners around Portsmouth/Southampton/the Solent area (around 100 miles south of London on the coast) so I can get more hours in.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby bandler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 am

i wish i had found this post earlier, i train in etheric boxing based in fareham, this is right up your street, google real kung fu
bandler
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:29 am

Its not that I was unaware of you guys its just I'm not really shore what you do. Your mixing Wing Chun and Taiji is some what diffident and may be very effective but I haven't come across it before so I was not clear as were to place it style wise.

Anyway an update on me and my training is that I now have two teachers one who teaches me material from Xing Yi and yi quan with an emphases on striking power and one who is teaching me the Cheng Man-ch'ing version of the long Yang form.
I still would love to do casual training with people to compare notes from time to time. Sadly have not made it to YMAA London as the demands of my PGCE are to grate to give up the time to drive that far every week. I'm in Poland next week so will be going to see the fantastic guys at YMAA Warsaw to catch up.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby bandler » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:59 am

the teacher who teaches xing yi and yi quan where is he based???? does he in Qigong as well?? i'm interested
bandler
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:19 pm

He is in the Romsey and gives semi private lessons of 3 or so students. I know he knows Qi Gong but he teachings are more based around the San Ti stance from Xing Yi. He is very into body alignment and breathing and Qi, all very internal. Very good fa jing and very direct. My Taiji teacher is much more into the Qi Gong, again very internal not so much about the big moments but what is happening with the Qi.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan