A lone Xingyi practitioner

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

A lone Xingyi practitioner

Postby internalfist » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Hello names Phillip, i discovered the wonderous internal art of xingyi quan about a year and a half ago and started regular training from Master Shou-Yu Liang & Dr.Yangs Xingyi book & dvd. Ive been focusing mainly on pi quan and zuan quan now beng quan. For most of the past yeat of mainly focused on perfecting my san ti shi and pi quan. I am wondering what is a normal rate of progression in learning xingyi.i know there was a xingyi master that practiced pi quan alone for 7 yrs. But ive had trouble finding other practitioners of xingyi, and would like to meet a more expereinced xingyi practioner to talk to about xingyi training. Thank you.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 am

I find it a frustration trying to find Xingyi instructors. I would be careful about training alone from scratch, it is so easy to get the fundamentals subtly wrong. It would be a good idea to find someone just to look over what your doing so you seem to be on the right track. Perhaps one of the guys hear could help you, if you sent them a photo of your posture ect. Also do you have a training partner? If you practice alone it is harder to self correct than having a buddy look at you or try to push on your stance ect.

Training alone can be worth wile and I have been forced to pursue whit crane this way but it really helps to have some input at the start. lol I am still looking for a training partner but will have to wait till I am back in the UK.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Taiji9870 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Hey I have some questions too about practicing xing yi alone as I'm interested as well. I don't mean to hijack this thread, I just thought I would post here instead of making another thread. There are no teachers in my area but I plan on finding one as soon as possible. I was mostly wondering about fajing and working on it without a teacher. I was worried if their could be any problems with qi circulation and the like. If any of you guys know anything or can give some tips, that would be great.
Taiji9870
Forum User

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:59 am

I don't think Chi is the problem. The danger of training alone is that you can develop funder-mental floor in stances ect and have something that looks half right but wont stand up to presser. I doubt you will damage yourself with bad chi from the physical side of xing yi so I wouldn't worry about that. I train alone in white crane a lot and haven't injured myself.

I hope to get someone to look over my efforts at some point although I am training a bit of a mixture of crane styles (due to resources eg books) .

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: A lone Xingyi practitioner

Postby yeniseri » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 am

internalfist wrote:Hello names Phillip, i discovered the wonderous internal art of xingyi quan about a year and a half ago and started regular training from Master Shou-Yu Liang & Dr.Yangs Xingyi book & dvd. Ive been focusing mainly on pi quan and zuan quan now beng quan. For most of the past yeat of mainly focused on perfecting my san ti shi and pi quan. I am wondering what is a normal rate of progression in learning xingyi.i know there was a xingyi master that practiced pi quan alone for 7 yrs. But ive had trouble finding other practitioners of xingyi, and would like to meet a more expereinced xingyi practioner to talk to about xingyi training. Thank you.

In reality, xingyi is one of 'easier' to learn only because you do more structural basics which would help if you decide to go to taijiquan or baquazhang/quan. The modus operandi of xingyi is train, drill and more training and that is how you excel in any art. Forget about the qi!
Just do it!

Within 3-4 years you could develop a good base providing you train assiduosuly and I mean serious training and not 1 day a week training.
Why don't you attend a workshop with Yang sifu?
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Taiji9870 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Hey I have one more question on xingyi. I was wondering on breathing instructions for peng quan. I was confused because in ever video they go so fast between the two punches that there didn't seem to be time to inhale. Do they exhale with both punches, or am I missing something? Unfortunately my book doesn't go over breathing instructions.
Taiji9870
Forum User

Postby internalfist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks for the info yeniseri. I have been practicing daily. I also do zhan zhuang as well, and i practice yoga.(laid off lol)but from yoga i have learned proper body alignment how how to listen to my body so as far as body alignment in stances and movement. I constantly watch re watch and analyze videos of experienced xingyi practioners. And i do have a good foundation in martial arts though more external,but ive also practice qi gong with it just as long. I feel if you really listen to the spirit of the thing its self and study it in earnest it will reveal itself to you. The translated scripts and Yeuh Feis ten improtant thesis helps alot,i reread all of it every so often and each time i learn some thing new about xingyi.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby taiji1983 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:25 am

Xinyiquan is easy and simple to learn. I practice the Shaolin Xinyiquan. Its very basic, straight forward and to the point.
Do San Ti Shi as a Zhang Zhuan every day, for 1 hour. you can do 30 min right, 30 min left, or an hour each. The elbows stay near the body, the footwork is as if skiing on snow, and the breathing should be Reversed Abdominal Breathing. Remember the intention, each move is meant to kill. Do not worry about the Qi flow, just imagine fighting an opponent, keep your posture correct and NEVER look down as you do the forms. Thats about it.
It does NOT take 10 years to become a "master". If you find a teacher that teaches that way, is either because that is how they were taught or they are trying to make money off you. I believe you can get more than proficient in fighting in 1 style of xinyi in 1 year. I dont care if you study 100 years, if you cannot transcend the cycle of reincarnation, what have you really mastered?
taiji1983
Forum User

Postby internalfist » Fri May 27, 2011 1:42 pm

If your art does not take you to such realization, your training is in vain.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am

true but it is exceedingly unlikely that you'll transcend the wheel simply by doing a lot of xingyi :D

how's things going, phil?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby SzJoska » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 am

Hi everybody! I started practicing Xingyiquan at home for 3 weeks. I'm practising from Liang Shou-Yu and Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's book and read some else from the internet. I have a question to you, when i practise San ti shi for about 5-8 min i have a shoulder ache in my outstreched arm, what's in front. Is this normal? If i practise a while it will be atronger and then the ache would disappear?
I'm practising the Ba Duan Jin (8 pieces of brocade), too.
I'm waiting for answer's, good practising!
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 pm

SzJoska wrote:Hi everybody! I started practicing Xingyiquan at home for 3 weeks. I'm practising from Liang Shou-Yu and Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's book and read some else from the internet. I have a question to you, when i practise San ti shi for about 5-8 min i have a shoulder ache in my outstreched arm, what's in front. Is this normal? If i practise a while it will be atronger and then the ache would disappear?
I'm practising the Ba Duan Jin (8 pieces of brocade), too.
I'm waiting for answer's, good practising!

San Ti will be painful, the more you train the longer you can do it before you cry. Just keep at it. I have been learning Xing Yi for a bit now but have got side tracked with my Taiji practice (I say that but its more the Xing Yi had side tracked me from Taiji).

Liang Shou-Yu and Dr. Yang book is the best source I have found so far and I brought every readily available book I could find. I have studied with a teacher but we did not learn form so I learnt the first form from the Dr Yang book and DVD.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby SzJoska » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:30 am

I have another question
What exercises do u use for warm up? (some special) I don't know if 8 pieces of brocade or Tim Cartmell's Xingyi nei gong 16 warm up (whitch has similar exercises to 8 pieces of brocade) is better. I read that first thing in Xingyi practitioning is warm up (like in others) second is San Ti Shi and the forms, the latest are some qigong exercises.
So I think the Qigong exercises from Liang Shou-Yu's book are done at the end of the training, and the first exercises from it can be done separated so the Pick up the Moon from Sea bottom in one day, the Lion turns the ball in second day, The Spiritual dragon turns his head in third day and the others are actually done one day because they continue each other. I think so, am I right?
Thank u good practise for all of u!
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 pm

I don't over think the warm up. I make shore the knees are warm and run through some basic postures. 8 pieces of brocade or any of the Xing Yi Qi Gong sets are fine I would think.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby SzJoska » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:47 am

Hi again, i feel a bit ashamed that i always come here with my questions, but it could be great honor learning from somebody, anybody (if you learn Xingyiquan :) ).

Question 1: If i'm a beginner, so i'm practicing like i said now about 4 month, but i only done San Ti Shi (max period 8 min.), Tim Cartmell's warm up and Liang Shou You's Qigong, since then i put away my dumbbels and i thought if i should or not begin some bodyweight execises like: pushups, situps, squats till i get to one arm pushups and pistols (one legged squats) ? or Tim Cartmell's and Liang Shou You's qigong should be enough ?

Question 2: If i could only do 8 min San Ti Shi then it's better to not to begin Pi quan?

Question 3: In Dr. Yang's and Liang Shou You' book the changing direction in Pi quan it's not written wrongly? Because when i read deeply not only once, i thought: if you end with left hand Pi, then do the turning like it's written, then step with your right leg forward then (it's written that you do the right hand Pi) you should repeat the left hand Pi ? because the right leg is in front no ? or am i wrong?

Question 4: It could be a good thing doing San Ti Shi and with time the five elements with wrist bag and ankle bag, too?

Sorry for too many questions, good practicing, and good day!
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:27 am

Q1 There as supposedly some downsides exercises like push ups for Xing Yi but I doubt it would be much of a problem except you could be spending the time on the standing exercise.

Q2 Start Pi quan but work on the standing.

Q3 Liang, Shou Yu does it a bit differently from Sun style but I have just read it and cant see the problem the left hand starts in Pi then goes down to your center and comes up as a fist then the right hand performs the splinting action into Pi as the right foot come forward followed by the reinforcing left foot. Get the DVD and copy the movement.

Q4 Some people use wrist bag and ankle bags but I think they tend to be more external in their practice. Be more external or more internal its really up to you.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby SzJoska » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:02 am

Hi, it's long time I posted, but wanna ask something again, that practicing Xingyiquan 5 fists, near this i wanna do some muscle building with only free weights, dumbbells, and i don't know if the two contradicts?
Thanks, good day!
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby ZERO » Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 am

Hi, its also been a long time since I've posted, too.

regarding free weights & Xing Yi training: its better to avoid using free weights, as they tend to develop the physique in an uneven manner. Stand in San Ti Shi more than anything else. Inclined push ups, chin ups, & practicing the Five Fists while standing in a Horse Stance are the best supplementary exercises. Focusing on the details of San Ti & the Five Fists will give you more development than you might think. The Eight Essentials are great for this, since you'll be able to build up your muscles without inhibiting your speed or development of Qi. Good luck!
"Perfect happiness is the absence of striving for happiness."
~Zhuang Zi~
ZERO
Forum Addict

Postby SzJoska » Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks, i will try, good day!
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby SzJoska » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 am

Hello, I'm not sure, but I re-readed and re-thinked some writings in Liang Shou-Yu's Xing Yi Quan book and i think there is Xingyi Qigong before anything else because these exercises could be used as warmup and stretching exercises, (and u musn't do anything else) same time are best for chi cultivation and circulation too. After doing these exercises you can start practicing your San-Ti stance (till u can stand for 30 minutes) and so on.
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Next

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan