Taijiquan desapoint me

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Taijiquan desapoint me

Postby mreiley » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:35 am

I sorry for my subject but really i am desapoiment with taiji. I have been practice for my self and I think progress everey day, however why:

1) There are 24 and 48 and 108 forms in taiji ! what happened with the 1,2,3... on forms ?

2) the 24 and 48 form have more movement than this. It don't have names.

3) Don't exist terms in Taiji for the postures , punch and kicking.

What good books or videos there is for learn complete taiji. which recomend me.

Best regard
mreiley
mreiley
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:53 am

The original form was the 108, the other foems are simplified versions.
The 108 has 108 principles/movements although each movement has many applications it is not the 108th set in a system. There are other forms but for now get Dr Yang's books and DVD's as they are easy to follow and have applications. Many other good books out there as well, it will take a long time to study.

Good luck. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Taijiquan desapoint me

Postby Josh Young » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 am

1) There are 24 and 48 and 108 forms in taiji ! what happened with the 1,2,3... on forms ?

The art of taiji is the 13 postures, composed of 8 energies and 5 directions, all the forms are based upon this. In a way the count of the forms is superficial and irrelevant. One can see that in numerous authentic lines of transmission from the Yang family (over 3 generations) there are several forms and counts, all containing the energetic aspects of the art. Dr. Yang has a few books that elaborate and explain the energies of the art rather well. I will refer to them at the end of my comments.

2) the 24 and 48 form have more movement than this. It don't have names.

Those are recent forms, composed after the communist takeover in China where the communist party essentially outlawed martial-arts traditions. Much was lost and in some modern forms there are no transmissions of minor details. However some people do not care for names at all and merely practice all of the energies without concerning themselves with the labels the postures bear. The newer modern forms tend to be very controversial.

3) Don't exist terms in Taiji for the postures , punch and kicking.

And yet taiji clearly has several punches and kicks, rather effective ones at that. I was taught terms for punches and kicks, as well as different hand weapons/fists. But in the 13 postures punching and kicking are not included because they are not energies, they are techniques. One may use several energies to power the fist and foot in taiji, to say punch or to say kick is superficial, taiji is far deeper than superficial technique, it is about the forces behind the techniques, for this reason it gives rise to endless technique.

What good books or videos there is for learn complete taiji. which recomend me.

No book or video will allow you to learn taiji in a complete way. They are tools that are of value, but they cannot allow you to feel what you need to feel in order to understand what taiji is. However you can employ them to refine your practice and understanding.
I will suggest these two books:
Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications: Advanced Yang Style 2nd ed. by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
and
Tai Chi Theory and Martial Power: Advanced Yang Style 2nd ed. by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

I'd suggest looking for a teacher to begin.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 pm

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan