Emei Baguazhang Qi Gong Form

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Emei Baguazhang Qi Gong Form

Postby SnakeFist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Can anyone help me?!?

I am wanting to learn the Emie Baguazhang Qi Gong form, i came across the form in the book by Dr Yang, Jying-Ming & Master Liang, Shou-Yu. I am not a beginner to Qi Gong as i have studied Yip Man Wing Chun for the last 15 years and the first form Sil Nim Tao is a Qi Gong form, i practice Sil Nim Tao daily but it is more a static form in the fact that we do not move the legs while practicing.

I am wanting to learn a moving form for all over direction of Qi and the Emei form looks to be what i am after, i can learn the sequence of the form on my own from the book. That is not a problem but it is more the internal workings that i would like explaining/answering in more detail, can anyone help or know of anyone than can help?

Thanks

Snake Fist
SnakeFist
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 am

An in-depth answer to your question could only be given by a qualified master of that style. aka GM Liang Shou Yu.

I can give a summary, with my basic understanding:

Body
Stand up straight with healthy alignment, and minimal muscular tension. Relax your joints as much as possible. When you move, the whole body moves as a threaded unit.

Breath
The theory is the same in general for all qigong. As your limbs move inward towards your center, you are inhaling. As the limbs move away, you are exhaling.

Mind
Focus your attention on sensitive feeling of the sensation of the movements you're making. Don't let the mind wander on random thoughts. Get into the present moment by observing the sensation.

Simultaneously, the Yi leads the Qi. Meaning, when you move your arms or legs, bring your mind all the way out to all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and beyond, to lead energy into that tissue.

Qi
If you think about Qi circulation, it stagnates. Where you focus your attention within the body, your Qi gathers. So, in a moving form like this, the Qi moves from your center out to the extremities and back with every breath.

Spirit
Spirit, or Shen, relates to your morale or intensity, more than the Western concept of the soul. The more focused and meditative you are in the practice, the more abundant and motivated your qi circulation will be.

You have to refine the earlier points, body & breath & mind, in order to refine the later points. Each one leads to the next and they all harmonize with one another.

I recommend isolating one skill set each time you practice, like focusing only on the body, or the breath, or quieting the mind, and then as you refine them over weeks and months of practice, bring them together into your practice.

I hope this helps.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby SnakeFist » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Dvivid.

That's great thanks, it's given me a lot to think about and work on!

How can I go about contacting GM Liang Shou Yu?

I have been contemplating buying two books by Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming on Qi Gong meditation, one is "Qi Gong Meditation- Embryonic Breathing" and the other is "Qi Gong Meditation: Small Circulation, The Root of Spiritual Enlightenment"

They both seem to be very informative, is there a preference to which one to start with?

Thank You

Snake Fist
SnakeFist
Forum Newbie

Postby tylerzambori » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 am

SnakeFist wrote:Hi Dvivid.

That's great thanks, it's given me a lot to think about and work on!

How can I go about contacting GM Liang Shou Yu?

I have been contemplating buying two books by Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming on Qi Gong meditation, one is "Qi Gong Meditation- Embryonic Breathing" and the other is "Qi Gong Meditation: Small Circulation, The Root of Spiritual Enlightenment"

They both seem to be very informative, is there a preference to which one to start with?

Thank You

Snake Fist

Embryonic breathing comes before Small Circulation. I know this because I'm reading Embryonic breathing, and Dr. Yang goes into the
sequence of things in that book. Marrow Washing comes after Small Circulation.

I'm surprised nobody answered you....
tylerzambori
Forum Newbie

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan