Sequences

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Sequences

Postby silverfox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering which part of the Taiji form is your favorite, part 1, 2, or 3, and why?

Thanks,

Scott
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Postby Josh Young » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 am

The grasp sparrows tail is my favorite.

But in the yang long form in general I like the 3rd section.
It takes the moves and combination of the first two sections and mixes them up, showing new variations and teaching that all moves flow to all moves. I also like the separate left and right section for the kicks and pivots, that is in the 2nd section.

I view the form sections like this:
1 basic taiji alphabet
2 basic taiji words
3 taiji grammar and sentence formation

but the form teaches as a guide not a strict method, so once you know the form you can do a snake creeps down to shoulder or an elbow to press, moves that are not together in the form but the form implies they can be combined as all of the moves can.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby silverfox » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 pm

I agree that it is hard to pick a part of the form as a favorite since they all serve a purpose so I will just choose the Taiji fighting set :lol:

Seriously though, these days I really like part three. I like the applications for this part of the form and find they suit me better than part 1 or 2.

Part three is like a vicious animal form, golden roosters, snakes, tigers, horses, and monkeys all wrapped up in the seven stars of waving clouds.

Part three has that cool nei bai , whye bai to draw the bow. I think part three is the most creative of the three parts.

Thanks for your comments

Please keep em coming :D
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Postby Ralteria » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:56 pm

I've been drilling the second part of the form really hard lately, so I'm going to go with that just for the sake of it's fresh in my head. I really like the transition into Fist Under Elbow (sooooo many applications) and Needle at Sea Bottom through Parry and Punch. And the kicks in that section really serve me developing the peng jin in my legs.

If the part of the form focuses on what I need at the time, that part is my favorite.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan