37 postures

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

37 postures

Postby taijilee » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 pm

hello all, I am currently reading the taiji chin na book and studying the 37 postures. Theres no demonstration of the opening and closing movements. Is there anyone here with some experience in this that could help me out?
taijilee
Forum Newbie

Postby Ralteria » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Are you conscerned with a Chin Na application in the opening and closing postures or the the actual postures themselves?
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby taijilee » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 pm

My concern is the actual postures themselves. I know that the beginning and end postures don't have any chin na application. Just curious as to how it starts off and ends so that I might practice it completely
taijilee
Forum Newbie

Postby Ralteria » Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm

Might I suggest checking out Dr. Yang's "Classical Yang Tai Chi" book and DVD as I believe that will probably give you a better idea of how to perform the form, including the opening and closing movements, some decent fundementals, some Qigong, and the postures and movements themselves.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Wed May 06, 2009 8:11 am

And/or you may be interested in this 37-postures DVD.
http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/internal/taijiquan/taiji_martial_applications_DVD

(you can see Dr. Yang and Kathy Yang start the form at the beginning of the preview video...)
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby yeniseri » Wed May 06, 2009 4:27 pm

The 37 postures are the essence and they are unique! With repetitions you get 85, 88, 108 etc.
A good strategy is to take out the repeating postures and count them yourself since that is what makes taijiquan so great. It is the individual effort above and beyond what people say or what they want you to believe. If you do this type of scrutiny, you will learn far more than anyone can tell you.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Sat May 16, 2009 10:10 am

A good strategy is to take out the repeating postures and count them yourself since that is what makes taijiquan so great. It is the individual effort above and beyond what people say or what they want you to believe. If you do this type of scrutiny, you will learn far more than anyone can tell you.
I agree.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan