Taijiquan and karate-do

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Taijiquan and karate-do

Postby pinoso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm

I have been learning taijiquan for a year or so, but most of the time on my own via books and dvds, due to lack of teachers around here, and I was starting to think about learning some external style to complement my training. So, I went to look for some wushu schools around here, to learn some nanquan or chanquan, but failed in the search :(

But, I've found a karate-do school, whose master looked quite good to me, specially since he talked about the focus on health and martial arts philosophy in his classes, not competition or fighting. So, I am really willing to attend his classes, and, since I really know very little about karate-do and I really like, from what I know so far, the Chinese way of martial arts, would you recommend me to attend his classes? How different is karate-do to Chinese martial arts?

My real plan, as soon as I find a teacher, is to learn more kung-fu styles, but in the time being, this is a great opportunity to have a master. So my question is really if karate-do is too different from what I have been learning in the last year?
pinoso
Forum Newbie

Postby Onlyino » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 pm

As someone who has been down that path, looking for a specific style and not being able to find it, learn what you can from who you can.

As long as the teacher is good at what they teach you will gain knowledge that could and should help you with further training in the martial arts.
Death is guaranteed, life is not..... so live!
Onlyino
Forum User

Postby pinoso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Well, I am really not looking for specific styles, just anything Chinese.

But yeah, I guess it's better this than nothing
pinoso
Forum Newbie

Postby yeniseri » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 am

In reality, they share many principles and concepts but due to the modern era (sport) and other factors, they both have deteriorated to its present state. They are still worthwhile but the breath and depth of training is relegated to punch/kick scenarios.

In my own journey to Okinawa (military) I have matured in my admiration for both and those who have vision in both arts and seek to bring it to its former standard.
When I trained there, I realized sport was very narrow a focus.
I even quit training because my own expectation were low especially when I had to lift all those heavy tools as part of the training process!
I saw the error of my ways while still striving!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby getfree » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:53 am

Depends on the style of Karate.
Shotokan or any of it's derivitives are really not that compatable with Tai chi, ba gua etc as they tend to be very linear and use a great deal of external power. They generally also neglect almost all the internal, rooting, and whipping/linking aspects of the Chinese arts. The shorter styles such as goju ryu on the other hand are a lot more accommodating of tai chi principles as they are purely okonowan and are heavily influenced by Chinese arts. Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu (kofukan) are good for what you are looking for. Shotokan, wado-ryu not so good. A good measure would be to study a karate style which uses the kata 'Sanchin'. This is originally a Chinese form and some people attribute it's development to Da Mo. Alternatively Aikido would be a good companion to Tai Chi. Regardless you need to develop your hard and soft so karate can benifit you. Your Tai Chi will make you an excellent Karate-ka in any case.
getfree
Just Arrived

Postby yeniseri » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:44 pm

I can only say that the roots of Okinawan karate are Southern Chinese Crane style (of various names). As the Japanese imprint began to take shape, we have what we know today as Japanese karate, taking on its own character and frame. Goju-ryu was a more recent influence so it still retained its "Chinese' origin while incorporating elements of a Okinawan/Japanese character!

This is similar to the original art of the samurai sword (nothing more Japanese than that) taking its form elements from an old Chinese sword method of the past. I do not recall the name but I will try to backtrack.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby beeno » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:41 pm

I train Shotokan and Tai Chi. I’m no expert in either, but at my level, I find that they complement each other. The strong and powerful techniques of Karate are perfectly balanced by the smooth and flowing movements of Tai Chi. In my opinion they are each parallel, endless roads. Shotokan is based on Okinawan Karate which in turn is derived from Chinese martial arts so one can find the same concepts at the core of each.
beeno
Just Arrived

Postby yeniseri » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 am

Kanazawa was an up and coming karateka when he picked up taijiquan and found the two worked well together! For that, he was shunned.
K. Sawaii and a few others found a source in yiquan training and they continue that tradition today!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Ralteria » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 pm

I still train a bit of Shotokan in addition to my focusing in Taijiquan, as well. I've heard people say that some forms of Xing-yi look similar (or can be mistaken for) to Karate. It wasn't until my Taiji started seeping into my Shotokan did I really understand that.

Kind of peaked my interest in Xing-yi also.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan