Possible to learn classical Yang style from Dr.Yangs book?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Possible to learn classical Yang style from Dr.Yangs book?

Postby internalfist » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 am

Im currently studying xingyiquan, and wanted to add abit of tai chi, I have yangs books Classical Yang style, and Im wondering if Id be ok learning from just his book until I have enough extra cash for the DVD.
I havea tai chi DVD called Simply Tai Chi its nothing fancy, and I have a couple David Caidean VHS tai chi, so I am familiar with some of the moving, and I also have been practcing Zhan Zhuang for 2 months straight. And Other various forms of qi gong a year before.
Thanks for you advice.
Take Care.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm

You can learn a lot from books, especially those by Dr. Yang, they are valuable resources.
However it is ideal and maybe even crucial to know how the movements feel and this cannot be had from either book nor DVD.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby lilman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 pm

To add to joshs comment, you can learn a lot from books but not master taijiquan. Since you have a xinyi bzvkground I may suggest sun style taiji so as to not give up your roots
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby internalfist » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:01 am

Yeah I understand the whole not being able to be VERY profficient in Taiji with out an instructor, but theirs NO one in my area that teaches, or is good. Alot of Mc Dojos here.

Thanks for the info.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby lilman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Its possible to get decent at taiji from books. If you need any help or tips ps secrets, please feel fee to pm on here.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby pinoso » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 pm

I have been myself training on my own for almost a year now, and while I really miss some directions and I'm sure I do lots of stuff badly, it is, like for yourself, the only way I have to do taiji (no instructors around here neither). So yeah, keep going, with time and dedication, I think we can get a bit decent :D

I would suggest though you go, if possible, to some seminar (or open day or whatever) whenever you can. Even if for just 1 or 2 days, I think it should help a lot.
pinoso
Forum Newbie

Postby internalfist » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks pinoso.
Yeah Theres a Tai Chi class through the rec. department here its 2 classes a week. And its $59 for like 2 1/2 months. So I think Im going to do that.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan