A few simple questions.

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

A few simple questions.

Postby ThirdShogun » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:41 am

Hello everyone,

First of all I wanted to thank the YMAA team for producing these wonderful videos and books which transmit so much important knowledge in the field of TJQ. I truly enjoy them.

I have dabbled in the MA for years now, but have finally settled into TJQ as my main practice. I love everything about it!

I was lucky enough to have practiced TJQ with some very good teachers previously. It's been about 4 years since my last TJQ class, yet I am starting to get back into it.

Since then I have learned the 24 form via your DVD, and have been refining my practice and studying the materials presented by YMAA. I know the stigma associated with video practice, however I feel I have learned enough in my classes to receive the material with correct principals (at least to bring me to an intermediate level.)

Onto my questions:

1.) In the DVD "Tai chi energy patterns", which is great, there is the standing meditation exercises. Mr. Rones says something that intrigued me, "If you feel shaking, stop and consult a Qiqong/Tai chi teacher." I was a bit taken back by this. My previous taiji instructors informed me that minor shaking was normal, CNS adjusting to stillness, Qi being unblocked, etc. My personal practice; I don't experience very much shaking, and I believe what little I do experience is muscle fatigue, IE holding the ball ZZ. Any elaboration?

2.) This is more of an open-ended discussion question. Some of my teachers have been on the "mystical" side of TJQ, doing all sorts of Qi, energy work, visualizations, meditations, etc. However I had one teacher who told me that the power behind TJQ lies in body mechanics, physiology and science. I was wondering, what would you consider Dr. Yangs school of thought? A mix of the two? I'm at a point in my practice where I am focusing on relaxation, root, body structure, and keeping a clear mind. Perhaps I am jumping the gun with this question but I am rather curious.

I am also lucky to have a friend who I can play with the applications with, and do some basic push hand and energy transfer exercises.

Overall, I love tai chi. Unfortunately for one reason or another the classes I have taken have fallen through, be it because of finances, schedules, etc. But I am grateful for the knowledge I have learned in the past, and also the knowledge available at my finger tips because of YMAA. I look forward to learning more about my body and gaining better balance/relaxation/martial ability.

Thank you!
ThirdShogun
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:06 am

Hi,

I forwarded your question to Ramel, here is his answer:
I meant that if you have shaking, which is a normal thing, you should be around an experienced teacher that can share with you the idea of opening the energy circulation through the shaking. I myself do not shake when doing Yi Chuan but I have seen many that do.

When the shaking happens, for example, you may want to massage the energy in your body to smooth the energy. If an individual practices by themselves and gets scared, it is best if they have a qualified teacher around. Maybe you do not need a good teacher around to help you understand the shaking, since you do not shake much and get scared like some other students.

Shaking is normal. It freaks some people out. With a teacher around, you can get guidance on how to work through it. Some people quit from this shaking, but it sounds like you have an understanding of it.

THANK YOU
David Silver, Director, Tai Chi Energy Patterns DVD
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:14 am

Question #2.

Is it one? No, its two. Is it two? No, its one.

I can't speak for Master Yang, but I can tell you that both are true.

It is all about body mechanics, alignment, relaxation, rooting, mindfulness, proper breathing. But the more you practice, the more you turn your attention inward, and the more you physically feel that your body is made of skin, muscle, tendons, bones, liquid, living cells, molecules, atoms, energy. Your body is a living bioelectromagnetic field. Western science and Eastern philosophy agree on this. The Chinese called it Qi 5,000 years ago, but you can call it whatever you like.
http://www.bioelectromagnetics.org/pubs.php

I am very happy that you are learning with the DVDs. The goal is that you can develop a strong foundation on the correct path with authentic information from highly-qualified teachers with YMAA DVDs.

David, YMAA Video Director
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby ThirdShogun » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Thank you David, you answered my questions perfectly. Keep up the great work !!!
ThirdShogun
Forum User

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan