Asking for Advice...

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Asking for Advice...

Postby lilman » Thu May 15, 2008 11:28 pm

I really need some advice. I am currently studying taiji with a teacher that teaches Taijiquan external to internal. Its like hes teaching Shaolin. Ive been in his classes over a year and he hasnt taught us Qigong, 13 postures, or any basics yet. He taught us one form, I learned another form from a DVD and taught that, and hes teaching us several sword forms right now. When ever I ask him about the basics he says be patient. I am teaching his other students the basics and Qigong now, and they are advancing but the whole experience is rather frustrating. I am teaching more and more for my teacher. Now one year into the class, he gets a new student and all our progress stops and his attention goes to catching that student up...
Today I met another Taiji teacher in my area. He gave me a demo and showed me his Qi. He actually drained my body of Qi. If you never felt it, it feels like when your Lower Dantian is filled with Qi, only it turns into a vapor and seeps out of your body into him until he sends it back to you, then it feels like you done instant sitting meditation. I was AMAZED at his abilities. He informed me what he thinks Taiji should be and I agree 100%. He also demonstrated Iron Body by cutting through a piece of paper with a sharp knife, he had me hold it. He gripped it with his hand and pulled and used Qinna to disarm me. Not even and indention of the blade on his hand.
Where I need the advice is, should I leave my current teacher and go with this one (Which Im really considering!!!) even though we have a year of training together and I may be missing out on what he has to offer (even though his jing isnt much stronger than mine as far as I can tell from when he demonstrated it)? As you can see, its kinda a moral delema cuz Ill be leaving the teacher that taught me for a year, to someone who he knows, and appearantly doesnt think highly of my teacher by the way he talks.
Another Dilema I have is I am only interested in Taijiquan. This teacher also teaches bagua, xingyi, and Shaolin. If I go with this teacher, I may be forced to take those classes, which I'll find out later if I have to. I believe its better to be proficient in 1 art than a smatterer in a thousand...

Thanks for any advice you can give...
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Asmo » Fri May 16, 2008 1:58 am

OK I don't post here much, but I recognize a lot what you are experiencing now which I had to go through with several teachers several decades back.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE ON BAD TEACHERS

Its just a year (in martial arts we are talking about decades rather then years to accomplish anything worthwhile), I've wasted like 7 years on one teacher, and had several like 'm. If you want to learn real Tai Chi, don't waste your time and move on. You're not betraying him by leaving, he is betraying you by taking your time (and money?) and ultimately wasting your time which you could've spent with a good teacher reaching your goal(s).
Asmo
Forum User

Postby lilman » Fri May 16, 2008 2:10 am

:) thank you. I do agree. My intuition says go with the other teacher. Yet my heart says its wrong... I guess its my sense of loyalty that wont let me leave.... Yet I consulted the I Ching and it gave me 4 passages, Fu, Tai, Chen, and Ta Chuang. It informed me the move was for the best. Yet I asked if I should just request to learn Taiji or go with all the martial arts the new teacher teaches (cuz he just teaches several martial arts as one system ie, Taiji, bagua, Hung ga, Xing Yi, Choy Lay Fut, 7 Star Praying Mantis, and Shaolin. ) and it said the move is good, be persistent in my course (which is Taiji) then gave me I or nourishment, which means Watch people nourishing others and observe what manner of things they seek to nourish themselves... So its basically telling me to leave my current teacher and go with the new. Yet my answer was either not clear if I should stay with Taiji or learn the other arts, or it is clear, saying stay with Taiji and and see what goes down with my old teacher. It was suggested to me to talk to my current teacher about it, He should encourage me in the best direction for me, if not he wasnt worth wasting my time anyway. Which does indicate watch people nourishing others... Any thoughts?
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Asmo » Fri May 16, 2008 2:14 am

lilman wrote::) thank you. I do agree. My intuition says go with the other teacher. Yet my heart says its wrong... I guess its my sense of loyalty that wont let me leave....

That was the mistake I made and I now fully realize.
Asmo
Forum User

Postby lilman » Fri May 16, 2008 2:24 am

Thank you Asmo. I appreciate your experience. :) so do you think it would be offensive if I ask this teacher to JUST teach me Taijiquan? The reason being is he doesnt have a school or a business. its a "Temple" and buddhist, and Daoists and Muslims go there. He teaches all those martial arts I previously mentioned as 1 system. Im hoping he'll make an acception and just teach me Taiji but I dont want to be offensive to ask niether.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Asmo » Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 am

I really can't help you on that, sorry. I just wanted to let you knwo of my experience and opinion of wasting time in schools you won't get what you want/need.
Asmo
Forum User

Postby lilman » Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 am

Well I do apreciate your input Asmo. :)
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Asmo » Fri May 16, 2008 3:02 am

np, I'm sure more will chime in later when they wake up on that side of the world :)
Asmo
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 pm

One good thing to say is that bad teachers are often good at discerning the psychology of their potential students and they excel at human nature interaction, albeit to attain tuition and it usually works!
A polite way of saying they will rob you blind and you will hand them the money and you will be happy to do so and you will get nothing in return!
Knowing hundreds of forms will never bring martial skill but if you learn one form with the accompanying shenfa and jibengong, you can see any form and understand the actions behind it.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby lilman » Sat May 17, 2008 1:19 am

From what my going to be new teacher says about my current teacher, Id have to agree. Like I said before, its not easy to find a teacher here. I guess I was lucky to have him. Now I believe I found the real deal... Or at least this one shown me his power. And a lot of his views on Taijiquan are similar to mine. He believes Taiji is not just a "soft" art for health. It was designed as a kick bottom martial art as he puts it. He develops the fighting aspect, as well as the Qigong. My current teacher hasnt even introduced Qigong yet. Also he has a Chen Grandmaster, dont remember his name, that sometimes comes to his temple and gives free seminars for his students. As far as Taiji, he teaches Yang, Chen, Wu, Wuu, and Sun styles. Taiji Spear, Sword, Knives, Fan, 3/4 pole, with an emphasis on practicle applications in street fighting. What he said about Wushu, "If 5 cholos attack you on the street, you cannot defend yourself with "wushu". What are you going to do jump and fly over them when they attack you?" By wushu he means not the traditional martial arts, but the stuff most teachers are teaching now thats supposed to be pretty. The martial styles developed by the communists. Ill go see if Im going to start classes with him Monday morning. :)
lilman
Forum Guru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan