Parallel Pushing Hands?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Parallel Pushing Hands?

Postby Allo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Dr. Yang mentions in his numerous Chin Na and Shuai Jiao (wrestling) videotapes about Parallel Pushing hands. (Parallel pushing hands being where the hands are NOT crossed, i.e. left hand contacting opponent's right hand, and vice versa).

However, I have never come across any information about this type of pushing hands (even in Dr. Yang's pushing hand DVD!), and believe that this would be a very important part of training. In real fighting situations, it is quite common that you would contact your opponent in a parallel hand position as opposed to in a crossed hand position.

Is there any information about this type of pushing hands? I would very much like to train this, but don't know how.
Allo
Forum User

Postby lilman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 am

Its the same theory as crossing hands. The only thing is the opponents body is right in front of you. The closest thing I ever seen for fixed hands in this type of pushing hands is the an or push exercise, but you just adhere, stick, neutralize and attack, just like in any other pushing hands. If you cant find a source, just try it with a partner. If you have ANY experience with pushing hands, it shouldnt be hard to grasp the concept.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Allo » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 pm

The "an" or "push" exercise is also the only parallel handed pushing hand techniques I have seen in Tai Chi as well. However, the way you neutralise the opponent's attack is very different from the crossed hand technique. I can think of two main differences:

1) In the crossed hand technique, you're always coiling in a way that keeps your hand on your opponent's external side (and on top). But in the parallel handed pushing hands, you're always trying to maintain being on the internal side.

2) When you attack in crossed hands, you're always pushing on your opponent's wrist, whereas in parallel pushing hands, you're trying to actually attack their body and therefore when you attack, you're not actually trying to stay in contact with you opponent's limb, but actually trying to get away from it instead.

To all proficient Tai Chi practitioners out there - is this information correct?

Some more questions:

- Could a training routine be developed that trains one hand attacking and the other neutralising in parallel pushing hands, instead of both attacking at the same time and then both neutralising at the same time?

- What about a parallel hand training routine that only used one hand instead of two? (i.e. my RIGHT hand pushes opponents LEFT hand and other hands are not active?) In this type of pushing hands, if you are neutralising the attack, do I always need to neutralise to the RIGHT or can I also neutralise the other way? After neutralising, would I always try to stay internal or external to the opponent?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with these questions. I still remain surprised that there are no training routines out there for this. There are similar parallel pushing hand situations in the Tai Chi fighting set, but there's not enough detail there.
Allo
Forum User

Postby lilman » Thu May 01, 2008 11:36 pm

Taijiquan, is an art form, you should not confide yourself to forms and sets. If you practice parallel pushing hands the theory is exactly the same. Stick adhere, neutralize, attack. You do not have to stay in the same spot, if your not practicing stationary pushing hands. Parallel pushing hands will teach you how to neutralize and use attacks like Fair Lady Works Shuttle to attak the vital points on the front of the body. Also you can neutrtalize to the inside to attack the opponent and knock them off balance, ie if they push forward, with the right hand, push it to the inside of their body, angular step to thier side and use bump to knock them off balance. You see the arts are alive, once you treat them as dead your skills stop growing. Be creative, you'll figure it out. Ask someone to practice with you.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby wackydog » Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Allo,

I am still new to push hands (2nd year), but we've recently started practicing what you're calling parallel hands - left to right - with both hands alternating. The movement is identical to the cloud hands, used in the solo form.

Alternately, one of my hands will be pushing toward the opponent, then the next... in the next circuit, it's reversed: the opponent will push/lead me. First set, palms to the opponent - second set, palms to myself.

Is this what you're asking about? Don't know how much help I can be... but I'll try!
wackydog
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:14 pm

DVD available now, with a complete course of parallel hands chin na:

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/internal/taiji-chin-na
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan