Taiji Big Ball Training

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Taiji Big Ball Training

Postby silverfox » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:12 am

Hello YMAA sisters and brothers and other forum participants,

I hope you are all doing well! I recently saw a video of a Taiji teacher in Japan using a large rubber exercise ball against the wall to do what looked like a modified version of yin and yang symbol training in a very circular and fluid way. I will try to find the video again if I can as well as the one using the same ball, but standing on it and bouncing to practice root , stability, balance , and sensitivity. I was wondering if any of the higher level YMAA Taiji teachers or students are familiar with this type of training?

I appreciate your knowledge, lets do our best to please stay on topic.

"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Postby lilman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Wow, I tried the ball training on the wall at home... You can definately improve your sticking ability with that exercise... Well my adaptation of it from what I understand...
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:09 pm

Course 4 in Dr. Yang's series uses a small ball to practice this sticking and adhering skill...on the wall, along an straight and circular edge, and even on the point of a knife!

See preview:

http://ymaa.com/publishing/tai_chi_DVD/internal/taiji_ball_qigong_applicationsDVD

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby clairvoyager » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 am

That DVD is great. I highly recommend it. Specially course 4 really puts it together by mixing patterns in any possible way.

I really enjoyed practicing rotating the ball around the edges of a brick. However, I think the 46 patterns are more important than wall/brick/knife rolling.
clairvoyager
Forum Contributor

Postby silverfox » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:03 pm

I like both, but the big ball is alot of fun because if you give it energy it will give it back.
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan