looking for school in Toronto

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

looking for school in Toronto

Postby Clint Hartzell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi, everyone. I was hoping to get some advice about finding a school in a city I have not been to.

I am going to move to Toronto for some graduate study in the fall, and I noticed that there is still some information listed for a branch or provisional YMAA school in Toronto, although the email address is broken or invalid.

I was hoping someone could help me find out about either the state of this school or any other taiji school worth investigating in the city of Toronto. As a beginning student it is not easy to go through all the results that pop up in a google search and try to assess the merit of the schools and classes, so I would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Thanks,

Clint Hartzell
Clint Hartzell
Just Arrived

Postby nyang » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Clint:

The YMAA Toronto school is no longer active. The only school we have in Canada is in Quebec. The official list of currently active YMAA schools is here http://ymaa.com/training/schools.

Finding a school can be a difficult and daunting task. My advice would be to first check out the schools that are most accessible to you, in terms of the commute and schedule. Ask about trial classes, and compare the programs and class curricula offered at each school. You can also ask around for people's opinions, if they know about other schools, check out school websites, google names of instructors from those schools, etc. It's definitely not an easy process. But see what fits best for you and the way you train.

The other thing to do is to wait and see if anybody who knows about Toronto schools replies to this post :).

Sorry that I can only offer so much info,

--
Nicholas C. Yang
Yang's Martial Arts Association
nyang
Admin

Postby lilman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 am

:-) Well Im from El Paso, Tx and we do not have a YMAA school or any famous teachers around here at all. Probably my best teacher has been Dr. Yang, and Jou Tsung Hwa through thier books and Dr. Yang's videos. I even went to teachers who I found lied and had no moral foundation or teacher/student relationship, so I had to look it up in a local phone book and call around and see which school fit my needs. I didnt find one that did, but I am currently studying Taiji under a decent school I guess... But the point is, if you really want to learn then you will find a teacher. Even if their not the best at least you can build a foundation till you move on. When you get there, look in the phone book and call around as well. or go to yellow pages.com, but I dont know if its the same for Canada...
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby jfraser » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:40 am

Don't pass up checking out Russian Systema in Toranto, the method of the Russian Special forces. It is good stuff, give it a try'

:) :idea: 8)
jfraser
Forum Guru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan