Buying a sword

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Postby Josh Young » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

That is cheaper. I paid 300$ for mine including shipping.
Worse, it has a bad grind, the kind you usually find on things sold as seconds.
With this sword you should not take a chance on ordering it, you should be able to select from a few models of it so as to prevent yourself from getting a more flawed model.

Still mine is sharp and sturdy and handles quite well.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Scott Rodell Sword

Postby NC Tai Chi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

Hey Josh, You have had this sword from Scott Rodell for a while now...care to give it a quick review?

I know it is for cutting ; but goes it have any play at all in the tip? Is the balance what you expected?

Anything at all would be nice as I respect your knowledge and experience.

Peace!

~Michael
NC Tai Chi
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:30 pm

it is a very good sword which feels very good in hand, sturdy and responsive
i use it often to practice basic cuts and techniques
it has fulfilled my expectations superbly
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

flexible blade

Postby NC Tai Chi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 am

Hello all,

Can you help me out?

Since it is recommended that when we practice Tai Chi Jian we should choose a spring steel blade that has a flexible tip - explain why there are many times when we thrust with the jian, ie. Spirit cat Catches the Mouse, Waiting for the Fish, Hold the Moon Against the Chest , etc...when it appears the tip would NOT penetrate since it is flexible?

It seams to me that the blade should be firm and not bend 45-90 degrees.

Thank you for your imput and knowledge.

~Peace
NC Tai Chi
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 am

i'd like to point out that Chinese swords in museums and collections, real ones dating to more than a century ago or more: are sturdy and hardly flexible at all.

The flexible sword is as traditional as it is effective... hardly.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

flex or not to flex?

Postby NC Tai Chi » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:32 am

I tend to agree Josh.

I was just wondering, why would Master Yang, along with many others, recommend looking for a Tai Chi jian that is spring steel that the top third should bend upto 90 degrees ???

Divivid ??? Anyone else? Perhaps I am missing something. I understand that Tai Chi practicioners should have a supple spine and waist when moving and generating energy - but why practice the sword form that has no practical applications?

In Dr. Yang's book and DVD, Taiji Sword, chapter 2 reviews the fundamental training such as Stab, File, Bore, and Clip. They all appear to need a firm top third to do the job that is needed.

Again, I must be missing something, anyone have a good expalnation as to why many teachers want a floppy top third of the jian ?

~Peace
NC Tai Chi
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am

it could be the changes in training in sword that were made well before Dr. Yang.

It became a way to train, not for swordsmanship, but for other things like sensitivity and energy expression.

It is said in several taiji circles that the Yang sword form circulating today is not about learning swordsmanship at all.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Previous

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan