amazing perspecives on TJQ history & various training me

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

amazing perspecives on TJQ history & various training me

Postby jfraser » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 am

Hello to all, and Happy New Year!

There are several very interesting, useful and even frustrating (in some ways), posts about "Old Yang" or Imperial TJQ training methods and more contemporary history and training methods on the recent posts on the Tai Chi section of the forum at www.shenmentao.com. Sifu Stier has some very interesting perspectives that almost no one else talks about.

The internet lately seems to be opening up many old secrets. Some I have known intuitively but found little validation, until reading these posts recently.

I hope you will find them interesting also. Your comments are most welcome.
:) 8) :wink: :idea:
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby yeniseri » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:47 pm

jfraser said
The internet lately seems to be opening up many old secrets. Some I have known intuitively but found little validation, until reading these posts recently.

There is rarely any historical evidence to determine the connection between the purported lineage present day between students and teachers so alot of assertions become like 'whatever' because veracity is lacking!
As an example, Li Yaxuan (student of Chengfu, mainly and his father) was unheard of in all circles because he kept a low profile in taijiquan. His son-in law, Chen Longxian, resurrected that part of the lineage with his wife, Li Mindi, daughter of Li Yaxuan. Similarly, present day teachers/students lack this obvious connection or they do not and cannot provide this information because it does not exist!

All I am saying is that it is nice for teachers to provide such instruction to those who are well deserving notwithstanding the many madeup lineages that claim to exist.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Yeniseri

Postby jfraser » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:42 am

I am not very hung up on lineges. I find Doc Stier's open and direct response to questions very informative and useful. And he is stating aspects of TJQ training that have not be spelled out before IMHO :)
jfraser
Forum Guru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan