applications for blocking kicks

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

applications for blocking kicks

Postby dedicated » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:40 am

the only one i know of is catching the kick in hold the ball poster and mustang ruffles its mane to attack the person. i was wondering if anyone has anything else. thanks
I am ready to devote the rest of my life and everything I have to improving myself in the art of Tai Chi Chuan.
dedicated
Forum Regular

Postby Tarandus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 pm

In the Yang Cheng Fu form, in the posture known as Lou Hsih Chi Tang Ch'ui (Brush Knee and Punch Opponent's Pubic Region), what happens is this: after the previous movement which consists of blocking a left punch and kicking the opponent with right sole, a) deflect downwards a right punch with your right fist b) deflect upwards a left punch with your right fist and step forward into bow stance with right foot c) withdraw your right fist to your right hip while simultaeneously sweeping your left extended palm across your waist to the right d) step forward with left foot into left bow stance while brushing past left knee with left hand and punching downwards to the opponent's genitals with the right fist. The brush knee mentioned at d) corresponds to an internal deflection of a kick by the opponent's right foot with the side of your left hand; this is followed up by the punch to his testicles with the right fist. Also, one possible application out of many, of Shi Zhi Shou (Cross Hands) is to bend very low to scoop up a low kick with both hands and then raise his leg and overbalance him. Lu Shih Au Bu can also be used to deflect kicks as well as punches. Pai Hao Liang Shih (White Crane Spreads Wings) can also be used to deflect a high kick upwards and unbalance the opponent accordingly. Kind regards, T.
'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions. Live the questions now. You will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.' Rainer Maria Rilke.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby DOM » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:58 am

you could probably find an application against kicking in most if not all of the postures.If you analyze and practice as many possible situations that a kick can be thrown.Then threw trial an error you should be able to find many possable uses.Tai Chi is a pattern based system.The key is to find as many useful patterns you can in each posture.The patternes that will be revealed of course are limited to the individuals exsperiance in Tai Chi and the martial arts.Say somone knows many locks and throws,but some one else knows more striking teckniques.The ratio of the striking applications compared to the grappling applications will weigh heaver to the side of that persons expertise or experience.The more knowage one has of punching,kicking,throwing,locking and weapons,the more possible usable application one will be able to exstract from any form or posture.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby wackydog » Fri May 23, 2008 3:02 pm

Personally I'm fond of simply "be not there"...

turning sideways or stepping back.
wackydog
Forum Newbie

Postby yeniseri » Thu May 29, 2008 1:58 pm

There is really no application per se but when you step back (literally and figuratively) and you were trained properly to see skill in the person's self comportment, you can 'know' what the person will do next.
I am not talking reading minds or some silly stuff. If you train in some type of sanshou, tuishou, etc if the person kicks or starts to, you can jam the kicking foot, then attempt to throw through redirection.
A good example is a John Wang training segment he posted on youtube!

Somebody said that Brush Knee is an excellent 'application' for a kick already left the ground. The closest objective reference is Cung Le trapping and kicking out the leg of Frank Shamrock in their last encounter!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan