Lineage of Imperial Yang TJQ Xiaojia from Shenyang, Tienjin,

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Lineage of Imperial Yang TJQ Xiaojia from Shenyang, Tienjin,

Postby jfraser » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:09 am

GM Yang, Lu chan -> Yang, Deng-pu ->Liu Ba-rui ->Sun Yu-kui;

Sun Yu-kui taught Li Changqing and Shen, Jin-nu, who inturn taught May, Kan-tu and Wang, Qing

Sun, Yu-kui also taught Han,Yong-ming (aka Han Yilong) and Wang Li and Li Xhongkui

Han Yi Long, Shirfu, is my theacher in Shenyang. He also has a Japanese student teaching in his own Wu Shu Gwan in Japan. His initial background is Chang Chuan, which Han, Shirfu says he is very good at. Chen, Xiao wang could not move him in push hands when he was doing a seminar in Japan

I am told that Wang Li is somewhere teaching in Hawaii, and is Han, Shirfu's Gung fu sister.

This is a very rare and traditional set.

Watch the opening of the Olympics on August 8 and you will see a part of this Xiaojia Set, as well as ChenTJQ, and Shaolin. China will put forth its best during the opening.

Presented for your information.

Best regards,
jfraser :) 8) :idea:

Su Neng Sheng Qiao
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:56 am

Very interesting, thanks...where do you hear what forms will be in the Olympics opening? Do you know what else? Know where to see any 'teaser' clips?

(PS - I heard that Ang Lee was hired 3-4 years ago to document the entire process of preparing for and executing the Olympics in China - I look forward to seeing his film...)
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

reply to Dvivid

Postby jfraser » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Shirfu Han, my shiirfu told me that Xiaojia, Chen style and Shaolin would be in the opening cerimonies to the Olympics on 8/8 and that China intends to "show its best" each getting about 2 1/2 minutes of this opening.

What else I do not know. Any Youtube Xiaojia clips do not look or feel anything close to the Xiaojia I have been learning.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,
James :)
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby lilman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:04 am

I watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics, if that was Xiaojia it looks a lot more like Chen or Wudang to me, then something branching off the Yang style. Unless they added other elements or it was just wushu. But it was very interesting and I like the fact they mentioned the Taiji theory being what we need for our future. I think thats a point that masters should definately be pressing to the students. Specifically those not aware of what the Taiji theory really is.
lilman
Forum Guru

Xiaojia in the Beijing Olympics

Postby jfraser » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Sorry, only one women TJQ in the BO, was doing Xiaojia, and I saw one posture. It does not look like Yang TJQ or Chen style.
The Government can change its mind on a dime.

When I talk to my Shirfu in Shenyang, I will ask him what happened.

:)
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby lilman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:38 am

;) Its ok, honestly either way I did not expect to see "real" martial arts anyway. Most of the real masters fled mainland China when the communists decided on Wushu, and thats what I expected to see, and believe I did see. Just for show. But it was still intersting. :)
lilman
Forum Guru

response to

Postby jfraser » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Since you have not visited or lived in China, I don't think you have the authority or experience to say:

Most of the real masters fled mainland China when the communists decided on Wushu, and thats what I expected to see, and believe I did see.

Some left China, often to Taiwan, but getting out of China now or then IS NOT easy at all, martial arts master or not. This is especially true during the
Cultural Revolution. Some fled to other very obscure parts of China such as Fujian. Some were killed, and most went into hiding.

Chinese masters do not practice or teach, if they teach at all, in public,
and are very difficult to find. For example, Shenyang, Beijing, and Shanghai have many masters, including my shirfu, still alive and well. Finding them is one thing, getting them to teach you is quite another, especially being a foreigner. You have to know someone that knows someone, that knows someone, that if this person is a good and trusted friend of a certain master, and is willing to introduce you. IF, he/she accepts you as a student, you will be put through various tests and trials for a long time, before he/she will begin to open up and teach you. And the old way is to show you a movement once, and walk away.

In short, there are many true masters of various arts alive and well in China, But the are not public and very difficult to find.

James
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:27 am

J Fraser, what you say is true.

But, it is also well-documented that at the turn of the century around the Boxer Rebellion, martial arts were illegal and many martial artists (and monks and nuns) were killed, and many schools (and temples) were destroyed. And the communist party made the situation worse.

That was the reason for the creation on the Jing Woo Society and later the Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute, to gather the remaining traditional masters and preserve the arts.

Master Yang discusses this interesting time in the Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu DVD
http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/kungfu_DVD/shaolin_longfist_kungfu_DVD1

And Gene Ching has a great article about it in Kung Fu magazine:
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=157

There is news that modern Wushu in China is starting to turn back to its roots, but most often what you see in Wushu performance is more like dance than martial arts, as we just saw in the Olympics.

Still, very cool to see taiji in the Olympics (and all the rest of that amazing opening spectacle).

I wish that Wushu would become standardized and become an Olympic sport - they've been trying for years, but no one can agree on standardized forms I guess...

For now it will be cool to watch the three siblings represent the USA in the Taekwondo competition:
http://www.ymaa.com/articles/taekwondo-olympics-beijing-2008
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby lilman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am

:) Your right jfraser I have never been to China and in fact never been out of the United States at this point in my life. I go off what I read in books and what my teacher tells me. My teacher has been to China. So forgive me if my statement has offended you, we know what we are taught, experience, see, and hear. Beyond that we are ignorant.
lilman
Forum Guru

vanity searching...

Postby gching » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:26 pm

Dvivid wrote:J Fraser, what you say is true.

But, it is also well-documented that at the turn of the century around the Boxer Rebellion, martial arts were illegal and many martial artists (and monks and nuns) were killed, and many schools (and temples) were destroyed. And the communist party made the situation worse.

That was the reason for the creation on the Jing Woo Society and later the Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute, to gather the remaining traditional masters and preserve the arts.

Master Yang discusses this interesting time in the Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu DVD
http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/kungfu_DVD/shaolin_longfist_kungfu_DVD1

And Gene Ching has a great article about it in Kung Fu magazine:
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=157

Now I'm just vanity searching myself as a gateway to familiarize myself with the YMAA forum. :lol:

That old BSL v Songshan Shaolin trilogy of articles is a bit dated now. I was reaching in the 3rd installment (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=156) where I was comparing the BSL 10 sets with a 10 set series that Abbot Yongxin put out around that time. He has since put out many other 'official' series of collected forms with varying counts so the whole notion of 10 forms has to be chucked out the window now. Truth be told, the curriculum at Shaolin Temple is crazy vast and diverse, not nearly as self contained as BSL.
Gene Ching
YMAA Staff Writer & Publicist
gching
Forum Contributor

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan