White Crane Wooden Dummy

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

White Crane Wooden Dummy

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:52 pm

Does anyone have any info on the White Crane Wooden Dummy techniques?

Does anyone practice a set for this training equipment?

Hoping to hear from you.
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby thunderbolt » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:41 am

thunderbolt
Forum Newbie

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:13 pm

I'm here to discuss the martial arts not the petty personal politics of others.

I actually have a life :D
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby thunderbolt » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:19 pm

--- Do you have any information concerning Mr. Jamie Scuffell (Lu Lu Ke) of Townsville QLD (Australia). He claims to be an inheritor of Flying Crane and to claims to be a lineage holder of the Shen Zhao Pai Fujian White Crane (Feihequan) under a Master Lui Hong Shen (1923 -2002) . He teaches along the same lines as Taiwan's Sifu Dong Mu-Yau

I would greatly appreciate any information you may have regarding this individual.--- to quote your other post.

So this is your "life".

Maybe, like the rest of us, you are seeking the truth behind false claims?

thunderbolt
Forum Newbie

Postby Hephaestus » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Take it elsewhere, thunderbolt, to PMs if you must.
I'm also curious to know if there is a White Crane set for Wooden Man training, considering the strong connection between White Crane and Wing Chun.
~H
Hephaestus
Forum Contributor

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:57 am

Hephaestus,

Thank you for your post. Perhaps someone out there has some info on Wooden Dummy and White Crane
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby thunderbolt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:57 am

Okay, the DUMMY,

Why don’t we all go look in:

1. Immortal Crane
2. 5 Ancestors Crane
3. Ping family Crane
4. Tsuruken
thunderbolt
Forum Newbie

Postby Crane_Fighter » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:58 pm

In the past I have spoken to my teacher regarding the use of the wooden training dummy. he has used it before and did say that there is ways of using it within the White Crane style...

I will try to obtain some info and get back to you ASAP!!!

This is also a subject I am intrigued to know more about??
Keep a hold of your head while all around you are lossing theirs...
Crane_Fighter
Forum Regular

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Crane Fighter,

Thanks for your post.

It would be interesting to hear what your teacher has to say on this subject.

Thanks again.
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby Crane_Fighter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:37 pm

I asked my teacher if he knew of any techniques but he does not..

He said that the best thing to do is to create your own technique from what knowledge you have of White Crane..

He also suggested that if you do use a dummy to try and build your own so that it meets your needs..

A dummy that has a swivelling torso is a good idea. As you strike it, it spins around so you then have to block..

A dummy with spring loaded arms or joints is good as you can practice grabbing with blocks and strikes..

No more info than that fella!!

If you gather anymore info please keep me posted as I will you.. :)
Keep a hold of your head while all around you are lossing theirs...
Crane_Fighter
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:24 am

In our White Crane we don't use a wooden dummy. It's fine for us in terms of conditioning our forearms blocking it and such. But it's always best to train with a live person who will hit you back. For our White Crane at YMAA, the wooden dummy isn't necessary. It's not bad to train with it, but it's not necessary.

Wing Chun popularized the use of the wooden dummy. I speculate that back then it was used as a substitute for when a live training partner isn't available. Any Wing Chun practitioners in here want to elaborate or clarify on that?
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:27 am

Wooden dummies are found in many Northern and Southern styles in various shapes and forms and are used for many different purposes (skill acquisition, conditioning, weapons training) but I have never heard of them being used in any of the White Crane systems. I was going to write a post about the wooden dummy’s use in Wing Chun myself but I remembered an article from a magazine that summed up what I would have said (and did a far better job). http://www.ukwingchun.com/Wooden_Dummy.htm
Hope this is useful. I have instructions somewhere on how to make a dummy, which I will try to find.
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby DOM » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:03 pm

Dr.yang stated that it is very much the same as a wing chun dummy,excepted the arms are alittle further apart.ever since Dr.Yang told me about useing a wooden dummy I have been using my wing chun dummy with great success.it's not as good as a live dummy,but some of us are not as lucky as those in boston.Even though it is not alive it has realy help my training,and has conditioned my arms,to the point were at times during training with others,I will hurt my partner when interceptingn with out trying and with out noticing I have done so.I have been exsperamenting and designing a dummy for white crane training,and been having some good results.But It will be some time and a lot more exsperamenting befor I am ready to build a proto type.If successfull I will also be able to practice qinna,and take downs.For those who will be at the winter crane semminar I will share my Ideas and results,and maybe together we can realy design a great training dummy for crane.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:18 am

DOM wrote:it's not as good as a live dummy,but some of us are not as lucky as those in boston.

Oh, so what are you trying to say? :x

:P :wink:

Yes, true without actual training partners, a wooden dummy is a good alternative.

Creating a wooden dummy for Crane? Sounds interesting. I myself can easily be the dum crane you can practice your take downs and chin na's on. :P
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby DOM » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:12 pm

Hey Walter how is every thing.Just trying to say any training partner is like a live dummy,and you guys have more of them then most of use have to practice with exspecialy for training crane.I was hoping to see and train with you at the last crane seminar will you be there for the winter one?I could not make it up there for the friday night class this time and most likley can not for the winter either,but I will be there for the seminar and hope to train with you then.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:02 am

I've looked high and low for the disk with the plans for a wooden dummy on and I can't find it. Sorry guys. Jo
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:24 am

Heres some Wing Chun wooden dummy clips for inspiration.

Pan Nam lineage
http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2098198/f/pannamdummy.mov

Yip Man lineage
http://www.digitaletchings.com/v_wcd.html

Just freestyling. Who chose the music? Sad
http://www.davidjamieson.com/kunglek/kl ... estyle.MPG

The dummy's leg should be on the floor so that you feet can't move underneath it not like in this clip
http://twc-kungfu.com/videos/Master-Sayah-On-Dummy.mpg

and finally HERE'S JACKIE
http://www.newline.com/jackiechan/rumbl ... denman.mov

I now digress, here is the full music track to the previous clip
http://www.newline.com/jackiechan/rumbl ... onlong.mov

Cheers Jo
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:19 pm

I have been taken to task on other forums for asking about the use of the Wooden Dummy in White Crane on this forum!!!

It's as if the idea of using a Mook Yan Jong to explore the techniques and fighting principles of White Crane is considered to be blasphemous and "horrifying" to some!!!

What are your thoughts on this?
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:57 am

Hi Shen Zhao Pai, you have my full support. I really can’t see what all the fuss is about, martial artists throughout history have modified their martial arts. Otherwise we would all be doing the same art. It is natural to draw on new ideas, to adapt is to survive. The wooden dummy isn’t just a Wing Chun phenomenon, dummies are found in many arts. DOM has said in a previous post
Dr. Yang stated that it is very much the same as a wing chun dummy, except the arms are a little further apart. Ever since Dr. Yang told me about using a wooden dummy I have been using my wing chun dummy with great success.

I would see what you are doing is rediscovering knowledge that has been lost. I had a similar reaction to the one you have been receiving from my Wing Chun classmates, when I incorporated techniques from other lineage's into my training but as along as what you are doing is improving your skill, “Good on yer bor“.
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:33 pm

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your post. I could not see what all the fuss was about as all I was asking or even postulating was the use of a Mook Yan Jong in White Crane as a training tool but ofr this I was basically attacked!!! Unbelievable.

I have a Mook Yan Jong (actually two) in my private Wushu Guan and I and my students use them to practice certain White Crane Drills upon and have benefited from the experience.

If Dr Yang say's it is okay then that's good enough for me!!!
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Next

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu