White Crane Wooden Dummy

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby DOM » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:35 pm

some peaple are norrow minded and have a full cup.The dummy is great for crane.Dr.Yang said in Chinna they did alot of training with trees.In his Qinna book he shows some of this training.I have did lots of training on tree's including qinna branch bending and leaf picking,and alot from my karate days but none with crane intill Dr. Yang told us this.So I went home and did some research.It did take long to figuer out that this is how the idea for a wooded dummy came about.For those who do not have others to practice I feel this type of training will greatly inhance your skills.I will share with you what I have found to be a great training for crane covering,repelling and four golden points practice.Find a branch about shoulder hight as straight as possable.that is flexable but not flimsy.Take of any other small branches off and bark to make it as smooth as possable.Know just practice the 4 golden points.I do not like destroying tree's so I came up with an idea.I used a dead branch but I intend to use a post and my wooden dummy.I took a branch drilled a hole in the vertical dead branch and stuck the end in like the arm from a wooden dummy and went to work.It has help me alot and is very injoyable.Not as good as a partner but better then just the air.Exsperament with differant typse of wood and material.I have been using sumack becouse it is on my property.It works real good flexable but not flimsy.But it dose not last it brakes after a wile.I used pvc pipe 1 inch it is a little to flexable and havn't tryed any thing larger yet.I think bamboo and the wax wood will work well but have not given it a try yet.I intend to try all types of different wood to see what is best.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:44 am

Hi Shen Zhao Pai, just out of curiosity, which White Crane system do you do? Jo
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:49 pm

Hi Jo,

I am associated with Calling Crane (Minghequan).
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:32 am

Hi Shen Zhao Pai, if you have looked at my previous posts you will know that I am doing research into the origins of the Sam Chien/ Sanchin (three battles) form. Does your school have this form or a set called Sanzhan (three movements)? If so, could you describe it to me. The school of Calling Crane that I have seen doesn’t have Sam Chien but it does have a form called Pai Puh Lian which contains the Sam Chien. All information gratefully received. Cheers Jo
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Doughnut » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:13 am

Hi Jo Tunmore,
I carry the same interest in San Chiem as your self and have many different variations of the form. From what I have researched Minghe Quan did not do Sanjan but Paik Pu Lian or what is known as Happorren (sp).
Minghe quan or calling crane is a mixed style of Lohan quan and He quan and is not purely a crane style.
Pan Yuba learnt the Lohan quan and the He quan styles from different masters and put them together teaching his student Xie Zhong Xiang, who carried on his teachings and passed them on to his students and created the Minghequan which is a mixture of crane and lohan. This is seen throughout the forms with many Lohan postures.
I have some footage of San Chiem performed by different crane styles and would be more than happy to share and discuss the differences.
If you would like to email me and carry on this discussion please do at [email protected]
All the best,
Pietre
Doughnut
Just Arrived

Postby yat_chum » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:07 am

Hi Doughnut, thanks for the reply. I will be emailing you soon. Jo

"Lien kun sam chien ki, sam chien, lien kaw si" Begin your training by practising Sam Chien and don't stop practising Sam Chien until your very end.
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:51 pm

Just found some instructions to make a wooden dummy, unfortunately they are in German but the measurements are all there.

http://www.wongshunleung.com/files/dummy.zip
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby mike waits » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:46 am

Muk Jongs are great but I cant afford one. I used to train on one when I was training in Wing Chun, now I dont have access, but I did take Dr Yang's advice and practice some white crane on tree branches. I found that the best tree to practice on, at least for me, is a Bald Cypress. It has plenty of give but is still strong you can also work chin na on the smaller branches. I find this to be better then any Wooden Dummy.
Amen
mike waits
Forum Addict

Postby DOM » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:37 am

Ya this is a great way to train,I do alot of this.For those who do not have access to a lot of tree's go for a hike find a good branch perfearabley a few good ones;cause they do wear out.Find a tree trunk or put a post in the ground,drill a hole big enough for the branch but not to big and go to work.It works very good with a post and you do not harm a live tree.I also carve off the bark and any rough spots from other small branches then hit it with some sand paper.A great way to stay motivated in the absence of a training partner.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

White Crane Jong

Postby Jim Roselando » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:36 pm

Hello,

I have a foto of the White Crane Jong and a White Crane guy playing on it!

Anyone who wants to see this can e-mail me and I will send it to them! It comes from a White Crane family in SEA.

Not easy to find!

Peace,
Jim
Jim Roselando
Forum Regular

Postby Shen Zhao Pai » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Jo Tunmore wrote:

Hi Shen Zhao Pai, if you have looked at my previous posts you will know that I am doing research into the origins of the Sam Chien/ Sanchin (three battles) form. Does your school have this form or a set called Sanzhan (three movements)? If so, could you describe it to me. The school of Calling Crane that I have seen doesn’t have Sam Chien but it does have a form called Pai Puh Lian which contains the Sam Chien. All information gratefully received. Cheers Jo

Hi Jo,

Sorry for not answering this earlier but I've been busy .... Life!

We have HuaBaBu/Babulian which starts with the "Three Wars" movement moving on to "Splitting Bamboo" left and right, "White Crane Twisting the Neck" and lastly "Mighty Hook".

Calling Crane Wushu, or Ming He Quan, is characterized by the breathing techniques used to express energy - thus "calling" crane. Rapid, swirling hand movements combined with delicate jumps and the calling sounds result in a stunning and fluid display of movement. Hope this helps a little.

Jim wrote:

Hello,

I have a foto of the White Crane Jong and a White Crane guy playing on it!

Anyone who wants to see this can e-mail me and I will send it to them! It comes from a White Crane family in SEA.

Not easy to find!

Peace,
Jim

Hi Jim, I'd love a photo of this!!! My email is:

[email protected]
Shen Zhao Pai
Forum Contributor

Postby Jim Roselando » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:45 am

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply!

I recieved a numbr of requests for the White Crane Jong foto!

If you e-mail me at:

[email protected]

I will send it to you asap!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Roselando
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu