Dr Yang's article

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Dr Yang's article

Postby Rakyat » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:13 am

Hello,
Interesting article by Dr Yang on how to get people to fight in tournaments using Kung Fu.
http://www.dragonslist.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=6277
Rakyat
Forum Addict

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi,

it is true what is written from what i've seen at tournaments. I live in Bermuda, and the main problem I see is that the Martial Arts Assoc is run by and organised by people that are from karate schools. Karate students outnumber KF students here I believe by a large ratio.
The tournaments are organised according to karate scoring and style, the judges are typically karate practitioners, and unfortunately, it seems that there is a bias towards karate.

Thanks for the link
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby BaguaMonk » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:35 pm

Also, KF styles have many techniques, and so many different styles. It is almost impossible to choose what techniques are illegal, fair, or allowed. Some of the techniques are like stomping on feet, grabbing/hitting/kicking genitals, throat, back of neck, temple, etc. Modern tournaments degrade into point based systems, or sometimes more grappling oriented tournaments. But I'm sure there are alot of good ones.
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby shuharicrane » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:15 pm

I don't think that there is any reason why kung fu tournaments can not be regulated like karate or other martial arts. So called, karate tournaments must be regulated so that people don't get hurt as well. Karate practitioners are also taught to stomp on feet, strike the genitals, back of head, etc. Don't believe for a minute that at a karate tournament you are seeing the martial art (even at contact tournaments they limit what techniques can and can not be used). The "only" difference is that karate practitioners are simply more organized. Since I practice both Japanese and Chinese martial arts I would love to see kung fu practitioners follow suit by setting up a regulating body.
shuharicrane
Forum Regular

sanshou

Postby dc » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:58 am

there are already two regulating bodies in the us for wushu/kungfu; the usawkf and the uswu. sanshou competition is well run at tournaments, although the point sparring pretty much sucks...though i don't think the majority of wushu/kungfu competitors really care about point sparring.
dc
Forum Guru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu