Long Fist vs. Shorty

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Long Fist vs. Shorty

Postby nchang » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:54 pm

8) Hello guys! I'm new to here and I think I'm short. I'm 5 feet 6 inches, ok, I'm really sorry if I accidently offend anyone who is shorter than 5'6" and I'm calling myself shorty. Well, don't be mad! I think We're All Shorty! :lol: But that's ok, because short girls usually prefer shorter guys to date, but can Long Fist be useful for a shorty in sparring? Thank you for your reply.
nchang
Forum Regular

Postby TonyM. » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 am

Absolutely. You can work your opponents midsection to take their "guns" away without having to go into a low stance.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Postby nchang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:45 am

:D Okay, but is it better for a shorter person or a taller person to learn Long Fist? Regardless their level in training.
nchang
Forum Regular

Postby OnlyMe » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:04 pm

The taller you are for long fist the better. Long fist teaches you to keep your opponent at a distance when engaged. If your short, keeping an opponent at a distance is harder to do, especially if he is bigger than you are.
OnlyMe
Forum Addict

longfist

Postby dc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:08 pm

i wouldn't assign a "taller is better" lable to longfist. if you enjoy kicking, jumping, and the theories behind the longfist style better than another style, THEN i would say longfist is a better match. i happen to be tall and think longfist is completely sweet; however, i also think white crane is totally awesome...and this is despite the fact i can't do a lot of it because of a bum shoulder.

pick something you like. you'll progress faster and happier.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby nchang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

I current style is preying-mantis so it's theory is to keep your opponent as close as you can get, and take down your opponent as fast as you can. So I figure maybe this style is best suited for me since I'm shorter and short people is good at close distance throwing. Right?
nchang
Forum Regular

Postby OnlyMe » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:46 am

nchang wrote:I current style is preying-mantis so it's theory is to keep your opponent as close as you can get, and take down your opponent as fast as you can. So I figure maybe this style is best suited for me since I'm shorter and short people is good at close distance throwing. Right?

Depends. If your short and skinny then a style that teaches you to attack close, but stay at a distances when defending is probably the best. Dont know the styles to well, but like a Monkey style is like this.

If you are short but stocky in close combat with locks and throws would probably suit you best. Like Crane.

But as one poster said, there all frickin sweet. So do what you enjoy.
OnlyMe
Forum Addict

Postby Blarg » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:00 pm

A style that specializes on close-in fighting is ideal for a short person, because your main problem is getting inside a taller person's long reach. Once you do that, he's at a big disadvantage because he can't use his leverage properly, and it is more awkward to move in what for him is a small area. This while the short person is functioning out of his worst range(the tall man's ideal range) and squarely in his ideal range. A short person fighting in close range takes away a tall person's advantages at the same time he maximizes his own.
Blarg
Forum Regular

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu