Su Kong Tai Djin

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Su Kong Tai Djin

Postby Dvivid » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:36 pm

1849 - 1928

"Born in Fukien in 1849, covered in hair. His confused parents abandoned the infant in a forest near the Fukien Temple. A passing monk rescued the newborn and presented him to the Shaolin Masters. The Masters found it impossible to find a family willing to adopt such a child, so they decided to raise him themselves. They named him Su Kong T'ai Djin.

From childhood on, Su Kong T'ai Djin studied the Shaolin art with exceptional dedication. The Fukien Masters responded to his enthusiasm with a rare variance from Shaolin tradition. In the temple it was customary for a student to choose one system in which to study, but he was no ordinary student! He knew that because of his appearance, he could not live a normal life outside of the temple. He chose then to devote all his time to the study of martial arts. He was allowed to study with all the masters at the temple. Over the years he accumulated a tremendous amount of knowledge and material from the various Shaolin masters and eventually earned the title "Su Kong" or Grandmaster. Instead of assigning Su Kong's training to a single Master, as was the practice, each of the Fukien Masters contributed to Su Kong's martial education. Su Kong was therefore able to complete every branch of Shaolin training, learning and mastering hundreds of forms and disciplines. It was an unparallelled achievement. (Usually the 10 Grandmasters of the temple each learnt 1/10th of the Shaolin art). Su Kong was a contemporary of Tai Chi masters Yang Lu Chan, Yang Jian Hou & Yang Pan Hou.

Su Kong's knowledge and strong character led to his appointment as the Grandmaster of Fukien. More than once, his exceptional martial skills were needed to fulfill the responsibilities of his position. For example, he once arranged a meeting with 12 Shaolin Masters, representatives of the Shaolin Temples of China. When Grandmaster Su entered the room for the meeting, all the Masters bowed. Instead of returning the bow, Grandmaster Su picked up a knife and threw it up the rafters. An assassin tumbled down from his hiding place, the knife embedded in his heart. Grandmaster Su had heard 13 men breathing where there were only supposed to be 12! Su Kong Tai Djin was know to fight with the bears in the forest for practice.

The Fukien Shaolin monks took it upon themselves to protect the Fukienese coast from the raids of Japanese pirates. They were tremendously effective, earning the love and respect of the common people. When word reached the Ch'ing Kwang Hsu Emperor in Peking, at the beginning of the 20th century, trouble brewed. Kwang Hsu saw the Fukien monks as potential rebels with widespread popular support. He secretly dispatched imperial troops, armed with cannons on a mission to destroy the Fukien Temple. He even sent a renegade Shaolin Master, Chi Tao Su, the White Eyebrow Monk, to strengthen the attacking force.

A sympathetic official warned the monks of the impending attack. The Fukien Masters chose a surprising, ingenious solution. They evacuated the Temple, removed all of its valuable artwork and books, and set fire to the temple themselves. They hoped to rebuild the Temple in more favorable times. More favorable times have not yet come.

Grandmaster Su and his disciples retreated into the Fukienese mountains to continue their training. Studying with Su were Lui Su Pong, Gi Shiao Fu, Qui Gwong and I Chang Ming."

OK, so does anyone know any more about this amazing person from Shaolin history than what I can find on the web?
http://www.cscsanjose.com/lineage.html

And here's an interesting side-story:
This kid, Ablay, was born recently near the Chinese border, said to have "surprising mobility, flexibility, sociability, a kind of special intuition, and a unique sense of direction."

Reincarnation?
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_612848.html
Last edited by Dvivid on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Tue May 03, 2005 12:57 pm

Great Grandmaster Tai Djin
Born in Fukien Province in 1849 with a gentic disorder known as hypertrichosis lanuginoga which caused long hair to grow from his entire body, young Su Kong Tai Jin was abandoned by his parents as an infant. While most students at the temple studied from only one or two systems, Tai Jin was allowed to learn from all the different masters. Being raised in the temple allowed him the unique opportunity to gain the trust of the masters. He only travelled outside the temple on two occasions and did not care for what he saw of the outside world. He knew he could never live a regular life in an unenlightened society and dedicated himself to something no one before him had ever accomplished: MASTERY OF ALL SHAOLIN SYSTEMS! Through his dedication, Tai Jin eventually became grandmaster of the Fukien temple. When the temple was destroyed, Tai Jin fled into the mountains and lived a reclusive life teaching Shaolin martial arts to those that followed him into exile. One such student would eventually become the next grandmaster of Shaolin Do. Great Grandmaster Su's area of specialty was Chin Na, or Dim Mak, "the death touch".
Last edited by Dvivid on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby BaguaMonk » Tue May 03, 2005 7:11 pm

Shaolin Do....ha, ha ha.

Well whatever, I have seen Sin The's posts and talks and I really think he is full of it. So many McDojos and successful teachers mix real martial art principles/techniques with false histories and styles. I know because I have trained at least one like this.
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Patbirder » Tue May 03, 2005 10:40 pm

I have found this story intriguing since the article in Inside Kung-Fu from the 80s that dealt with Shaolin Do, Sin Thes training etc..
Does anyone know about any information pertaining to this that can back up the claims of Sin The and the history presented for the system he teaches?
History of Fukien Shaolin temple?

Baguamonk- could you elaborate on why you believe Sin The is full of it?
the "environment" is not separate from who you are
watch birds-great for training the eyes!
Patbirder
Forum Contributor

Postby SliqueRICK » Wed May 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Wach shaolin do it reaks of fakeness they also do fake xingyi.
I am bleeding makeing me the victor!
Yi beng, Kan xue.
XingYi http://www.littlenineheaven.com
SliqueRICK
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Thu May 12, 2005 8:07 am

There's a lot of controversy about Shaolin Do.

But this thread is about the infinitely more interesting topic of Su Kong Tai Jin! I hope to find more information regarding this fascinating person. Anyone?

If it is true that he mastered all Shaolin systems, he should be regarded with the utmost respect!

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby BaguaMonk » Sat May 21, 2005 5:00 am

Mostly the history, the actual forms, the way its marketed, etc. Also I've seen him talk alot on the Kung Fu Magazine forums. I don't know the man, neither have I met him, so my assumption is possibly incorrect. Many of his students say his very kind.
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby SliqueRICK » Sat May 21, 2005 3:35 pm

Dvivid wrote:If it is true that he mastered all Shaolin systems, he should be regarded with the utmost respect!
He was made up.
Yi beng, Kan xue.
SliqueRICK
Forum Guru

Postby BaguaMonk » Mon May 23, 2005 2:51 pm

I doubt (regardless of how lost alot of Shaolin history is) that everything we currently know about Shaolin and its history is China is incorrect because of Sin The's claims. I also doubt he learned all the systems, when his forms look like sloppy Kempo (which does derive slightly from Shaolin, but simplified).
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby SliqueRICK » Tue May 24, 2005 9:50 am

Shaolin do in general is fake they even teach fake xingyi. its just karate bad karate at that with dren stolen from movies
Yi beng, Kan xue.
SliqueRICK
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Fri May 27, 2005 8:04 am

Dang, dudes.

Im not asking for any information about Shaolin Do or Sin The.

Nevermind.

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby BaguaMonk » Fri May 27, 2005 3:36 pm

Wish I knew more about that guy. Supposedly he was "Teh real grandmaster" and taught Sin The everything he knows.
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Judge Pen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:18 pm

BaguaMonk wrote:Mostly the history, the actual forms, the way its marketed, etc. Also I've seen him talk alot on the Kung Fu Magazine forums. I don't know the man, neither have I met him, so my assumption is possibly incorrect. Many of his students say his very kind.

I'm one of his students. I routinely post of Kung Fu Magazine. Sin The' does not post there although someone had taken his name as their forum name and made phoney posts.

He is very nice. He also likes to tell tall tales and stories (like many gregarious teachers). I take many things with a grain of salt, but I believe that the training is good, worthwhile and effective.

I do not know if Su Kong Tai Djian is real. I would love to see more objective evidence of him. More importantly, if he died in 1928 Sin The wouldn't know if he was real or not. He would be taking someone else (his teacher perhaps) at his word.

There was another chinese man with the same affliction known as Li Po Sui. There are pictures of him if you google it. He looks similar to Su Kong, but I can't say they are the same or they are different. There is also a phot from a columin in the Henan temple (taken by Japanese in 1928). It shows a hairy man, but I don't know anything more about it. I will try to find a link to that as well.

This is my first post here. I'm looking forward to a nice dialouge. There
Judge Pen
Forum Newbie

Postby Judge Pen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:52 am

BaguaMonk wrote:Wish I knew more about that guy. Supposedly he was "Teh real grandmaster" and taught Sin The everything he knows.
No Sin The never knew him. He supposedly taught Sin The's teacher Ie Chang Ming. Sin The learned everything from him in Indonesia.
Judge Pen
Forum Newbie

Related video

Postby white dragon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 pm

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajCJDWaH68[/url]
white dragon
Forum Regular

Re: Related video

Postby Gh0st1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:56 pm

I don't think cheap humor fit this topic, there is enough distraction already. Bad call.
Gh0st1
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:38 am

I am sincerely interested to hear more about the fascinating figure
Su Kong Tai Djin...if anyone knows...

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby white dragon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:56 am

Well thanks for your valuable input gh0hst1! Just thought it was interesting what they were talking about!

I read an interesting story about su kong. Apparently he held a meeting with 12 masters, and when he entered the room they all bowed to him, and instead of returning their bow he threw a knife up into the rafters and an assasin fell down with the knife in his heart! This was because he heard 13 people breathing!

So hard to know what's real and what's hype though.

A hugely interesting person though, I must say that!
white dragon
Forum Regular

Postby crickter14 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:17 am

hi,...
Great-Grandmaster Su Kong was born in Fukien in 1849. He came to the world with a genetic condition hyperthrihos that covered him with hair from head to toe. His confused parents abandoned the infant in a forest near the Fukien Temple. A passing monk rescued the newborn and presented him to the Shaolin Masters. The Masters found it impossible to find a family willing to adopt such a child, so they decided to raise him themselves. They named him Su Kong T'ai Djin.
its interesting one,..
thanks,..
crickter14
Just Arrived

Postby Josh Young » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:11 pm

reminds me of a Chinese version of Davey Crockett
killed him a bear when he was only 3...
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu