White Crane stances and knees

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby TonyM. » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:10 pm

Ease into the crane stances. Practice a little at a time. The full lotus is helpfull. If done correctly they only make your knees more flexible and stronger.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Knackered Knees

Postby Crane_Fighter » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:50 pm

Hey Lao,

I have always worried about the affects of White Crane Stances and Movements. I am 31 and have always been very flexible but in 1999 I snapped my ACL which is the ligament that holds the knee together. I spent 7-8 months doing physio and was told by the physio that balancing is one of the best things for building strong knees as it strengthen the inner knee muscles. Also he said that building strong quads will also help.

In 2001 I started studying White Crane and really worried about the way my knee would react but after a few months of study I started to think that the stances and movements were really quite helpful in a way, as it totally strengthens the leg muscles in the knee and also in the upper leg muscles.

White Crane as I have been told and learnt is all about balance.

I practice holding upper crane stance for as long as possible and also squatting on the one leg to build good strength and balance.

You might also want to try Glucosamine sulphate. It is a natural, non toxic supplement which helps maintain healthy joint cartilage.

Good luck and look after whose knees!! :lol:
Keep a hold of your head while all around you are lossing theirs...
Crane_Fighter
Forum Regular

Stances...

Postby Jashu65 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:05 am

I am parroting what other folks have already said. Like anything, you have learn to crawl before you walk. I am learing the basics of White Crane and I admit, the stance work can be pretty painful. I do the do the deep stances lightly until I build the endurance and flexibility to perform them deeper and longer. I think that with enough time and patience, anyone can perform these movements.
A journey will rarely teach you anything new if you dont have an idea where you are going.
Jashu65
Forum User

Postby Lohan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:39 pm

From what I know, building strong supporting muscles and bones AROUND the joint and avoiding high impact excercise are the best ways to preserve your joint's health. Pretty much everything from the waist down, then. Practicing stances will do this, yes, but I would additionally recommend regular resistance training if you're not already doing this, as it will help build and preserve bone density and overall physical health.

High impact excercise to avoid: running, jogging, gymnastics et c.

Flexibility is a requirement for martial arts, but oft overlooked is the related practice of strength development, it is widely thought that horse stance training will accomplish this. The fact is, I have witnessed many a martial artist injure him or herself because of his lack of strength to control his flexibility. I hope I communicate this effectively. Strength and flexibility are very much related to one another, and one without the other is a recipe for injury in any athletic activity.

While you probably won't be able to enjoy your apex of strength or flexibility at 40, you CERTAINLY will be able to improve upon both of these aspects, as well as your overall health. Self improvement is what we're all after anyway, isn't it? Just train carefully! I encourage you and all other martial artists to cross refrence all your techniques and training methods, traditional and otherwise with the information avialable to us in the 21st century.
Enlightenment is eating an orange.
Lohan
Forum Contributor

Postby Ronne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 am

hi guys,..
This site contains very awesome discussion and great sort of informative stuff useful one for many others needs this kind of stuff,..
Ronne
Just Arrived

Postby baihe shifu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Good and proper White Crane (Baihequan) should do nothing that is not natural. This applies equally to stances. The Tiger Waist stance/San jiao ma should be held in a natural state. If not, then it is simply being done wrong.
baihe shifu
Forum Addict

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu