Improving your Kicks

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Kicking...

Postby Jashu65 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:40 am

I aplaude your efforts to improve your kicking abilities. All the exercises mentioned here will definately help, however, you should also focus on timing your kicks as well.

Why timing? A brief biology lesson. Your muscles are made up of three types of muscle fiber - white, grey, and red. White is the fast-twitch muscle fiber, and red is the slow twitch. White is commonly associated with exsplosive movements and red is associated with endurance and power. Grey, as I understand it, is sort of an adaptive fiber to the type of activity you do. If you run long distance, those grey fibers will change to become more like their red cousins. However, if I remember correctly, they don't convert to white fibers even if you do train for explosive movements. The point I am trying to make is that your body is composed of a limited amount of white muscle fiber and no matter how much you train, your will only get to be so much faster if your genetic composition lacks sufficient white muscle fiber. Also, when you get older, you may not have those muscles to count on any more, particularly if you take on a sedentary lifestyle. But if you have timing and distance skills down pat, your kicks will look lightning fast and they will have plenty of power. Best of luck to you.
A journey will rarely teach you anything new if you dont have an idea where you are going.
Jashu65
Forum User

Postby tim 1 mc » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello I'am new to this forum my advice is to drill basic intermediate and advanced kicks 10 times back to back each leg with small break in between the 10s daily from israelredhorse
tim 1 mc

Postby tim 1 mc » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello I'am new to this forum my advice is to drill basic intermediate and advanced kicks 10 times back to back each leg with small break in between the 10s daily from israelredhorse
tim 1 mc

Postby tim 1 mc » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:38 pm

tim 1 mc

Reply To Paper

Postby tim 1 mc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 am

Hello israelredhorse is my e mail address know thou this back to back kicking daily is a must.
tim 1 mc

Postby DOM » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:45 am

most peaple only kick and punch in the air,this is fine and helps build speed.But one needs to leard how and when to contract the muscles,ligaments and tendons around the knee and the other joints involved with exucuting the teckniqe.One must practice striking something in order to do this.I beleave in the begining of ones training it is imperitive that one strikes something when training basic teckiniques to train the body to contract at the right time so to avoid hyper extending the limbs and causing injury.The way one warms up and conditions the body should also be designed to condition the body to being used in a violent manner with plyometrics and balistic movements.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dillon » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:57 pm

I second plyometrics and bag work.
Dillon
Forum User

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu