Kung Fu Science

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Kung Fu Science

Postby Sanfung » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

One of the major things that it seems that YMAA does is evaluate the scientific evidence for various aspects of the traditional Oriental healing and martial arts. I found an interesting apparently clinical study earlier on the Kung Fu Yau-Man palm strike. While it might seem like a very obvious thing, there are several citations that suggest that this study did prove a connection between training and what S. M. Machado, et al. described as the "power of the impact." Richard P. Bolander, et al. also wrote about the way that optimal force transfer occurs when the body is able to take certain postures and enter a state of perfect alignment.

I was wondering what other people thought of this study.

http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Publication/32377957/electromiographic-and-kinematic-characteristics-of-kung-fu-yau-man-palm-strike

Speaking of studies, I believe it was Dvivid who had earlier said that practitioners don't need to wait around for scientific studies to tell them what they already know. I found an interesting story from 1988 about someone who was using some form of Chi Kung to stave off some of the effects of Cystic Fibrosis. Sadly I couldn't find if this Craig Reid individual was still with us, but the story itself is rather inspiring.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-02-03/features/8601090385_1_cf-patients-cystic-martial-arts
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Re: Kung Fu Science

Postby yeniseri » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Craig Reed's story is excellent!

A main problem is that we have very limited information plus a result, which is obvious but many questions are left unanswered. Again, the results of the cure is beyond reproach.
As a biomedical researcher in clinical research, I see alot of things left unanswered.
1. What was the name of the qigong method that resulted in this wonderful cure.
2. How long did he have to do this method for? Frequency and duration!
3. How did he know he was ciured of this disease?
4. Were any medications taken with this cure method? How long?
5. Did Mr Reed undergo acupuncture? How long?
6. How long did Mr Reid have the disease before he was cured?

Again, if more results were forthcoming in qigong/yangshengogng healing, there would be more acceptance!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Kung Fu Science

Postby Sanfung » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 am

I have a background in academic research myself, having been an archaeology major in college. Sadly, I think that the lack of information has to do with the fact that this story was from a newspaper as opposed to an academic journal. Moreover, it was dated February 03, 1986. I'm not sure how the mainstream media carried stories related to the martial arts at the time.

Interestingly enough, though, I've found an article that suggests that he's still alive.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0717222/bio

Since this mentions that Reed wrote articles for Black Belt, I'll let you know if I come across any of his. I mentioned before in another thread that I was reading old back issues of it on Google Books.

I would love to hear more about what he did, and if like you said he was doing anything else with the Chi Kung treatment. Regardless of what it was that he did, I'm glad that it worked out so well for him.

I should probably mention that the other study I linked to on the Kung Fu Yau-Man palm strike was unrelated to the Craig Reed story.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu