Chinese Kung Fu

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: Chinese Kung Fu

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 am

Are there no Tai Chi classes? Tai Chi would give you a good base to expand from with your private training. If you want to be able to defend yourself I think you will need at least one training partner. If you cant find a training partner focus on structure/root and hitting power. Buy a bag and gloves and really learn to hit it hard. In that way in a conflict at least you may stay on your feet and when you hit people back it may have a chance of working. Have you got any martial arts experience?
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby SzJoska » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:18 am

Hello, I'm not sure, but I re-readed and re-thinked some writings in Liang Shou-Yu's Xing Yi Quan book and i think there is Xingyi Qigong before anything else because these exercises could be used as warmup and stretching exercises, (and u musn't do anything else) same time are best for chi cultivation and circulation too. After doing these exercises you can start practicing your San-Ti stance (till u can stand for 30 minutes) and so on.
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby SzJoska » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 am

just 6 month Shotokan Karate experience
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby SzJoska » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 am

Hello everyone, first of all i wish a happy new year for everybody!
I have a silly, new thery which i have to aks.
what's your opinion what will progress better for self defense :
-if anyone practices for example Shotokan karate 2 days a week in dojo + 1 day practicing some pushups, squats, sit ups and another day some kata outdoors, and the dojo prefers sport like training, not self defense
- or if someone (not complete beginner - 5 month shotokan karate background) practices the five elements of Xingyiquan (slowly built on each other first just San ti - for couple of months, than Pi quan ...) completely from books and videos without a master.
The example shows my progress :)
The theory could be that someone who practicing in a dojo for money and get a sport like feeling or someone with his little mistakes, alone but if has patience and perserverance for doing Xingyi's 5 fist for years at home will progress better?
If anyone hasn't got a master but practices something diligently, noone corrects his mistakes, could even achieve a faster technique and even his own built-on style? why beeing so perfect in techniques if own body strngth and speed and first of all reaction time counts?
But how could a lone Xingyi practitioner speed up his reaction?
Which one is better from the twoo? What will you vote? This progresses that what will i choose too :)
SzJoska
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:56 am

You need to think deeply about your goals. What are you trying to achieve? Without a Master you correct you there is the chance to make very fundamental errors.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Previous

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu