Conditioning for Monkey or Dog boxing.

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Conditioning for Monkey or Dog boxing.

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:32 pm

If I want to get my body into shape for low work with agility what is the best method? What stretching and what moment? Any good books or videos to recommend?
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Conditioning for Monkey or Dog boxing.

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:40 pm

I am interested in the correct body aliment so as not to damage the knees wile getting down low and moving through stances.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:26 am

There is a few books on Fukienese dog style, I own this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gemstones-Chine ... 180&sr=8-1
but unfortunately I don't presently know where it is to tell you how useful it would be. When I manage to find it and this might take some time, I will let you know.

Failing finding a instructor in the arts you have mentioned (which I know that you will know is the best) I would look at the movements and conditioning drills of other arts including those outside the world of Chinese martial arts like Parkour, (and dare it say it) Capoeira especially Capoeira Angola (out of curiosity why do you despise Capoeira?)
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:42 am

yat_chum wrote:(out of curiosity why do you despise Capoeira?)

lol among other things its the number of moves that are a set up to mugging someone in the street. I also dislike the fact it is for attacking the unaware.

I doubt it would stand up against an aware opponent with comparable skill. Again I am not saying I could win against everyone who practises it but it irritates me a lot. Also so far I have had a highly divergent personality from everyone I have met who practices it. They also all tend to point out that one person uses it in the UFC, luckily I have seen an interview with him and he said he likes to put on a show and uses Capoeira when he knows the opponent is much weaker than him in order to please the crowd (again showing a massive disrespect for his opponent in my opinion). But each to their own.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:52 pm

in capoeira there are some amazing conditioning and coordination training exercises
you can reap the benefit of these without being a capoeirista
i refused my baptism into capoeira and don't call myself a capoeirista but i learned a lot from training with it from an instructor

Malicia should make people uncomfortable, capoeira is an art that comes from the darkest and most brutal side that humanity has to offer, it isn't nice stuff, but that is old school cap, the newer stuff is much flashier and more about showing off than it is about life and death.

It isn't just for attacking the unaware, but it certainly has that element in it. the new school cap is kind of predictable in movement too, Angola is better IMO, but imagination is a vital part of the art that can get left out. I recall being told by my classmates that i was doing things 'wrong', they scolded me over and over, but when the instructor saw it he praised it and knew it for what it was, this created a divide between me and my classmates that was so large that i stopped going to class, but had my children attend because as basics go it is really good for the body and coordination and balance etc. i was always friends with my teacher though, still am, but i am autistic and don't do well in a group setting anyway

when i approached my instructor i told him i didn't want to learn capoeira, i wanted to learn two kicks that are very important to the style, he told me he would teach them to me and he did. He tried to get me to join... told me i had to attend a ceremony in white clothing where i would be 'baptized' so i attended covered in black and did not join in. He laughingly accepted this quite well and we are friends.

I can tell you that capoeira is not for me and that the benefits from the training in it are excellent. I still practice the basics from it but will never be a Capoeirista.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby yat_chum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 am

@ John the monkey mind. You have an interesting take on Capoeira, most people just see it as a dance in a similar way to the layman view of Tai Chi. Like Tai Chi many people do not train the martial aspects, non contact being the norm. Capoeira does have a lot of dirty moves and a different moral code to that associated with the Eastern Arts (although this is largely romantic, the Asian arts are just and dirty) but you have to put it into context Capoeira was developed by slaves, their opponents were armed with swords, guns, etc. Against superior opponents one has to be dirty.

There are a few people who use Capoeira in UFC tournaments but UFC isn't a judge of the art itself, its a judgement of the individual player under set circumstances. Speaking as someone has been exposed to many arts, Capoeiristas are some of the most confusing opponents that I have ever faced with the constantly changing stance and unorthodox movements.

Got to go but I will discuss this further.
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:50 am

The direct translation of Malicia is malice or slyness but in capoeira it has a much broader meaning it equates to being "street smart" to be aware the other players' intention and of your surroundings.

@Josh Young what were the kicks that you wanted to learn?
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Josh Young » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Meia-Lua de compasso and Rasteira.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby yat_chum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 am

@ Josh Young if you are able to use perform those kicks well you must have a very good understanding of capoeira and malicia. I wonder how you define a capoeirista?
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu