Learning from DVD

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Learning from DVD

Postby JamesC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm curious, if a particularly motivated individual, such as myself, being 25 decided to practice using Dr. Yang's dvd's and trying to attend seminars, is there a possibility for some type of certification from YMAA?With perhaps a yearly visit to YMAA Boston for corrections?

Also, if that IS possible, would it be beneficial to study White Crane along with the Longfist?
JamesC
Forum Newbie

Postby nyang » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:30 am

Hi James:

Are you looking for certification (i.e. a certificate document), or a quality-check in your training? If the latter, and you are just looking to see how you are progressing in the training, you can visit any certified YMAA school at any time to check your material (school visiting fees may apply; check with the school). If you are more interested in the former, to be formally certified (i.e. for purposes of teaching), then the process is a lot more involved.

If you're looking for certification in Chin Na or Qigong, then there are tracks you can take through seminars, visits, and constant practice at home. The typical time frame to complete this is between 6-12 years.

If you're looking for certification in Shaolin (both White Crane and Long Fist together) or Taijiquan, you will need to test in the standard YMAA International Curriculum. The curriculum tests both White Crane and Long Fist, not one or the other. They have to be trained together. The typical time frame for either the Shaolin track or Taijiquan track is 10-16 years.

If you are looking to teach as a current YMAA instructor, to be endorsed and supported by YMAA International, you will need to train for a sufficient amount of time at a YMAA school (i.e. a regular fulltime student), and you will need to maintain a satisfactory level of training and teaching to maintain that status (oftentimes by continuing to train at YMAA schools, camps, seminars, classes, etc). There is no other way.

The only other certification we can offer you if you cannot attend a YMAA school regularly is a document stating you passed exam(s) for specific things at a specific date in time. This means we cannot support or endorse you as a current or official "YMAA instructor", because YMAA instructors need to constantly update and check their training to adhere to the current YMAA standards, such that the content is passed down to their students and future generations correctly. All YMAA instructors represent YMAA International and should stay an active part of the organization.

Find what your goals are in the certification first, and then go from there.

Best Regards,
Last edited by nyang on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas C. Yang
President, YMAA International
Assistant Director, YMAA Retreat Center
http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org
nyang
Admin

Re: Learning from DVD

Postby russayde » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 am

JamesC wrote:I'm curious, if a particularly motivated individual, such as myself, being 25 decided to practice using Dr. Yang's dvd's and trying to attend seminars, is there a possibility for some type of certification from YMAA?With perhaps a yearly visit to YMAA Boston for corrections?

Also, if that IS possible, would it be beneficial to study White Crane along with the Longfist?

it would be possible beneficial...
russayde
Just Arrived

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu