Nine Birds and Other Rare Shaolin Styles/Forms

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Nine Birds and Other Rare Shaolin Styles/Forms

Postby RupertPumpkin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:19 am

Greetings all,

This is my first time posting in these forums, so forgive me if this topic has been broached.

Has anyone heard of a style call “Nine Birds?” I came across it years ago. The movements mimicked those of nine Chinese birds, naturally. I think the guy I met picked it up in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, I’ve lost touch with the man who knew the style. I haven’t found any info on it through Google, Youtube, or my gong fu books. If anyone has any info, I’d love to learn more about this system/style or any other esoteric and rare kinds of gong fu people have come across.

Thanks!
RupertPumpkin
Just Arrived

Postby yat_chum » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Rupert, out of curiosity can you remember what the nine birds were?

Here is a youtube clip of Hua Mei Bird a Hakka Sytle Kung Fu form
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsUR6hz5Fo
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Re: Nine Birds and Other Rare Shaolin Styles/Forms

Postby Bloodybirds » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:53 am

To Rupert and Yat: Sorry this has taken so long to reply, but I am one of only three Nine Bird practitioners and adepts in the US. I have learned this style the past 22 years under High Priest Ricky Anderson, senior disciple of Abbot Wang Fu Yen in the Wudan temple in Hong Kong. This style is a rare family style of the Abbot's family going back about 300 years and is an extremely tough mix of Nine birds, including southern eagle, Northern white crane, falcon, phoenix eye fist, etc that can be used singly or in combination against an opponent. In Hong Kong, practitioners can specialize in one of the birds or learn all nine.

By the way, I am also a senior student of Leung Shum in Ying Jow Pai the last 28 years and also have trained in Southern White Crane/Long Fist/Yang style tai chi from the senior instructor of Dr. Yang Sifu Jeff Bolt here in Houston. IN other words, if you are with YMAA we are first cousins lol!! I have been doing Chinese martial arts for over 34 years and have been lucky to train under Sifu Bolt, Sigung Shum, and High Priest Anderson.

If you have any further questions about Nine Birds, will be happy to answer what I am allowed but only to an extent. You may send me an email offline at [email protected].

Thank you for your inquiry with honor and respect.

Sifu Michael Aronson MBA
Bloodybirds
Forum Newbie

Postby yat_chum » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:41 am

Greetings Michael, is there any online clips of the nine birds style?
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Bloodybirds » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:53 am

Yat, unlike my other styles Ying Jow under Leung Shum, and White Crane/Longfist/Yang tai chi under Jeff Bolt, with this style I must have permission from my Shaolin teacher and his teacher in Hong Kong before I could place anything on a forum like this.

This style is a family style of the Abbot Wang Fui Yen, and is taught very rarely outside of Hong Kong. I was privileged to learn it because of my previous "bird style" and because I was willing to go through literal Hell lol to get it. I competed with it during the 90s before I retired from competition in 2000, along with Ying Jow and our White Crane, but since have not gone public with it except to teach one instructor Falcon, another instructor Stork, and a third adept under me Southern Eagle Claw to complement his Ying Jow from my dearest kung fu brother Master Joel Rodriguez, who passed away almost exactly one year ago.

There was a movie that featured some of my birds years ago called the Bloody Birds but lol have not been able to find it since viewing it once at my Shaolin master's house in the early 90s.

Yat, sorry if I sound evasive, do not mean to be, I am a 34 year traditionalist and have been told what my parameters are for this very rare and beautiful style. With one of my instructors, I have combined Ya Gu from our Southern White Crane with the Northern White Crane present in the Nine Bird system. It is a very interesting combo of Southern and Northern, and an interesting fa jing pattern has developed as a result.

Please rest assured, as Nicholas Y knows, that several of us down here are maintaining the integrity and greatness of the original forms and fighting taught by Dr. Yang to Sifu Bolt to us!

God bless and have a great day, with honor and respect.

Michael
Bloodybirds
Forum Newbie

Postby yat_chum » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:23 am

Yat, sorry if I sound evasive

No worries, I understand completely.
God bless you too. :D
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu