lightness kung fu near monterey park?

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

lightness kung fu near monterey park?

Postby jayred78 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 pm

well im new to this site and i was wondering if any one knew where to find a place to learn lightness kung fu, if theres no teachers, and any of you know some good pictures or videos that could teach me then id be very grateful :D
jayred78
Forum User

Postby yat_chum » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:45 am

Please could you clarify what you mean by the term "lightness kung fu"
Qing-gong ( light skill )basic practice 輕功基礎功
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkpde4vSuwc
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:57 pm

John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jayred78 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:57 am

yah both of you got it, id like to learn "qing gong" , lightness kung fu always came up in the videos, so i assumed the air borne abilities were exclusively obtained from a martial art opposed to a form of qi gong or cultivation technique
jayred78
Forum User

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:56 am

Thats the problem we all would. Some Bagua teachers cover it but it is a almost dead art. The best bet might be to get into qi gong and take up free running it a physical to internal proses so you start by building up the legs. Look in to basket ball jump training there is a deep similarity in it and traditional beginning stage training. 72 arts of Shaolin have descriptions of traditional external training.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Authentic-Shaol ... =8-1-spell

the book Kung Fu Elements: Wushu Training and Martial Arts Application Manual also covers the external but gives more of a practical guide to jumping and describes the theory behind some of the qi gong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kung-Fu-Element ... 668&sr=1-5

Basically nobody public has got to a high level in a hundred years as the amount of time involved is crazy. Can you jump up and down for 2 hours a day? I think you could get as good as the guy in the video I posed with the ideas above and years of hard training but the really high stuff is so far not open even if it still survives.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jayred78 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:39 pm

would you happen to know a form of ba gua that normally would cover this sort of thing?. i probably can master that relatively quickly if i had all the techniques

btw, thanks for finding those books
jayred78
Forum User

Postby taiji1983 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 am

Qing Gong... I havent practiced it like I should, I can give you the practice methods I was taught, and maybe you can take it from there.

Start with 2 Bricks. Lay them down, flat side down. Stand on the Bricks like Hugging the Tree until its easy for you. Put the bricks on the long side. Stand on the Bricks like Hugging the Tree. Put the Bricks on the small side. Stand on Bricks like Hugging the Tree until its easy for you. Shift wieght from right to left foot until it becomes easy. Switch from right Light Stance to Left Light Stance until it becomes easy.

Next get 8 bricks, Walking the circle as in Baguazhang, lay the bricks flat side down, walk until your comfortable. Put the bricks on the long side, walk until your comfortable. Put the bricks on the small side, walk on the bricks until your comfortable. If you can, include Kou Bu.

Next get a large Clay or plastic pot, with at least a 3 foot diamater, and fill it with soil. Walk around the edge until your comfortable. Then you remove more and more dirt, until you can walk around with no dirt and the pot does not tip over.

Next take 2 4x4s and put them at a 45 degree angle to the roof of a 1 story building. Run up the boards using the same style steps it takes to circle the pot. When you can do it easily and quickly, decrease the angle until your running all the way up the building with no 4x4s. Make sure you jump off the building after each time you run up.

From there, you can do everything they do in all those videos.

There are Qigongs for Qing Gong I do not know, that may or may not be necessary. You can still achieve those goals of running up buildings and a soft step with or without the Qigong.
taiji1983
Forum User

Postby jayred78 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:57 am

thank you taiji, your information is very inspiring, as for the qing gong, i can probably substitute it with something else
jayred78
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

I think that the view people have of "lightness skill" is infantile to the extent that it needs no secret techniques or strategy to gain it! It has never been magical! I would say that individuals who are physicallyl conditioned due to occupation or leisure inclination as in high wire artists or Parkour enthusiasts have a degree of light skill attained by their avocation.
In the new series of James Bond first in series, it showcased a level of light skill during the initial scenes where 2 fellows hopped to the top of a building underconstruction using the available structures as a walkway. I realize it was a movie and the cutting of scenes inherent in the making of it, but the Parkour crowd is the present inheritor of a lost athletic tradition being brought back through hard work and dedication to the craft.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 am

Qi Gong is needed for the high stages and gives the floating effect however you should be ok at low stages without it. Jumping high, balance and running up walls can be done just through external methods although qi gong really will help your balance at high levels and is not to hard to practice for that end, the difficulty is light body qi gong.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jayred78 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:47 pm

thanks every one for helping, but i just checked my collection of ebooks and documents and found that ive been in possession of a qing gong training manual this whole time :oops:

i hope these things help some one else looking to master this illusive skill as well
jayred78
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:49 am

John the Monkey mind wrote:Qi Gong is needed for the high stages and gives the floating effect however you should be ok at low stages without it. Jumping high, balance and running up walls can be done just through external methods although qi gong really will help your balance at high levels and is not to hard to practice for that end, the difficulty is light body qi gong.

When I teach CMA methods, I tend to incorporate methods grounded in reality that meets some type of methodology that can help the individual. Perhaps that is why I rarely have students but if qigong truly taught this "qinggong' my reality is that the all the people who have attained this skill would be rated in the top 10% of all kinds of jumping and running wordlwide competitions but obviously this is not the case.

I salute all those who have developed this secret skill!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:07 am

True but I think the amount of time needed to attain it is just to long so it fell out of practice, that cant be taken to say it never worked. As I said the Qi Gong is only needed for high level practice that lets face it is higher than any of us are likely to get.

Qi Gong for balance however I have personally found helped me in my practice although I am still no world beater. :)

Qi Gong works best in conjunction with well grounded practice its not magic and you wont fly but if your lucky you could gain some air time.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

parkour?

Postby dc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 am

not taking anything away from that video or qing gong in general, but it seems -- superficially speaking -- to be parkour, right?
dc
Forum Guru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Yes and no.

Id say it is in the way kick boxing is like Shaolin. The internal part helps and the motion is very fluid. Also its only low level skill as no one in a long time has gained a high mastery. Parkour would be a grate place to start as much of the basics seem to be similar. I think training Parkour but using traditional qui gong from the books to supplement and inform you could do well. Its the same as trying to study long fist from books when you don't know any MA at all, it would help to go to some karate classes to build up a foundation and get a feel for stances and moving not to mention physical conditioning.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu