starting Wing Chun

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

starting Wing Chun

Postby Maestromap » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Hello, I just bought "Wing Chun Kung Fu" by J. Yimm Lee and so far like the style. I am wondering if any one has any tips on how to start training in this style. I am not in a position in which I can get an instructor and money is tight. I don't want to be the next Bruce Lee or anything I just want to know the bear bones of wing chun so should I ever be in a situation where I need to fight I stand a chance. Any suggestions?
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:45 pm

You will have great difficulty learning Wing Chun Kuen from a book. This is how I started and when I found a class I had a lot of stuff that needed to be corrected. It is hard to learn from static images, video clip are better but you really need a teacher. It has been a very long time since I owned that book what are it's contents?

This may sound strange but you should begin with stances and footwork.

Out of curiosity where in the world are you?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Maestromap » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:25 pm

I live in a small B.F.N. town in Colorado. I won't be learning from one book alone, I intend on getting more material.
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am

From what I remember this DVD might not be the most exciting one on the market but it will give you a good foundation.
http://www.ukwingchun.com/Wing_Chun_Mer ... .htm#video

Do you have anyone to practice with?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby amelia.john011 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:07 am

That's really very nice.It develops coordination short distance, mobility, balance, timing, accuracy and proper use of energy. Chi Sao is often compared to a chess game that is in the Stratagy, skills and ability to constantly assess and reassess the situation.
amelia.john011
Forum Newbie

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu