rooting and striking

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

rooting and striking

Postby vamos » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:21 pm

anybody drawn energy from the ground (rooting)whilst hitting something.if so what happened?
vamos
Forum Contributor

Postby jchang » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 pm

you should be rooted every time you strike.
Jonathan D. Chang
YMAA - Andover, Retreat Center
http://www.youtube.com/ymaaretreatcenter
jchang
Forum User

Found good source for hand target

Postby MrFooManCew2U » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Found some striking target mits at LDU Company out of China with free shipping to anywhere in the world. My friend bought a few first and then I got one in black. Price was cheap. I have seen others that were made of real leather but for what I do it works just fine. Martial arts stuff is on this page www .liangdianup.com/martialarts_1.htm or you can click through from the main page at www .LDUcompany.com

Just thought I would tell other people in case anyone out there was looking for some.
MrFooManCew2U
Just Arrived

Postby vamos » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 pm

ok.i didnt realise you were rooted when striking although its not quite the same as drawing energy up to assist in strike or is it?

i just train qigong but have started a bit of hard white crane qigong and it just made me wonder.
vamos
Forum Contributor

Postby taiji1983 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:19 am

Rooting I believe is a misconception in TCMA. If you know how to sink correctly, you have a powerfull root. None of that special training is really necessary. Sinking connects you to the earth. sink and raise as you attack. If you know how to use your whole body as a unit, and you have a good stance, you can "use the Earth" to do a punch from 0 inches away. Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch isnt that impressive if you can do it when your already touching.
An example on how to practice it; stand in front of a punching bag, touch it with your finger tips. feel the bag, and sink down. using a full body movement, slightly raise as you use your palm to strike the bag with no draw back. If you do it right, you will see an indention in the bag of your hand. Even if the bag is filled tight.
taiji1983
Forum User

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu