Kung Fu vs Yoga

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Kung Fu vs Yoga

Postby Urgeist » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:25 pm

From a psychological development / spiritual growth perspective, what would people on this forum say is the difference between Gongfu and Yoga? I know Gongfu is a martial art and Yoga isn't but there are strong similarities (both are forms of exercises, both use internal energy [kundalini vs qi] both incorporate meditation). Any thoughts? If one wants to develop oneself spiritually, is one more effective than the other?
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:04 am

Yoga means to bind or integrate

Kung-fu means a skill gained over time

Tey are words used very broadly to mean many things

Yoga is often martial though the martial content is almost unknown outside of India. The same goes for meridians, the yoga system uses the same points and pathways as the internal arts.
Yoga is an internal martial art, in some forms.

I would leave the Chinese martial arts alone; except for the internal arts, with the goals you seem to have.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Urgeist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Could you elaborate on the difference between internal and external martial arts? I know external arts use for and internal arts chi [?] to approach conflict. Buts thats about all I know.
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:58 pm

To make it overly simple:
The difference is that external arts employ and exhibit muscular tension for power, while the internal arts exhibit muscular relaxation.

some arts combine the two powers with limited success, but they are more or less exclusive when it comes to the divergent paths they represent.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Urgeist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:37 pm

But then I don't understand why the internal arts / muscular relaxation, are better for the "spiritual growth" I seek.
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 am

the body and spirit are not separate right now,
tension in one is as tension in the other

One may encounter the universe the way a sculptor might encounter a piece of wood,
either going against, or by flowing with; the grain of things.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby amelia.john011 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:15 am

This scenario proved to be a pretty standard kung fu comedy reinforced by a lot of innovation, primarily but not exclusively in the fight scenes. This innovation must have for fans of kung fu and even as a curiosity for others.
amelia.john011
Forum Newbie

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu