I finally found a teacher

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

I finally found a teacher

Postby Maestromap » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 pm

well it appears the saying "when you are ready, a teacher will come" is true. For the past 6 months or so I have be experimenting with Tai Chi and Qi gong and have in the past month or so have started doing 8 section brocade and meditating every day. I have also lately become more and more intersted in external martial arts. just as I was thinking I would have to wait until after high school to start learning a teacher who taught Karate as an elective last year was hired back as the business teacher and give lessons at a local gym. He give lessons 2 times a week for no cost. my questions are:

1) For my 1st couple of lessons, or at least until I'm sure I like Karate, what should I wear? I don't want to buy a gi and then end up quiting becease I don't like it.

2) What should I expect? I've never done any thing like this before.

3) what are the chances of hand, wrist, or shoulder injury? I am a violinist and don't want to hurt myself to badly.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:31 am

1. T-shirt and jogging bottoms.

2. Although every school is different, most classes start up with exercises to condition and warm up the muscles. This usually followed drilling separate techniques. This might be followed by drilling with a partner. Depending on the instructor you might train Kata/forms and you might do light sparing using the techniques you have learnt. At the end there is likely to be exercises to warm down.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, it is not my intention.

3. Warming up and good technique are essential to prevent injury. You need to speak to the instructor about your concerns.

What type of Karate will you be doing?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Maestromap » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 pm

I am not sure what kind i will be doing. I didn't ask.
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu