Master Wong Kiew Kit

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:22 pm

yat_chum I have been trying more candle training today and its going reasonably well. I have been using the slandered strait karate style punch and training in short sleeves with clenched fists being careful not to breath out on my strikes.

The flame mostly just go's in the direction I want and I have been able to although sadly not consistently, extinguish the flame from about aprox 16 inch (just checked ruler lol) from my arms with them strait. I only ended with my arms at totally strait once this session and that was really painful, as last time I tensed on the very end.

One punch was like magic it extinguished the flame instantaneous it was very relaxed with grate waist and hip movement from a stance. Sadly I have been utterly unable to do it the same since. I find I run out of energy in just a few minuets and although I haven't put any strain on my joints but the muscles on the side of my upper arms are a bit sore as it seems they are the breaks.

I am not shore how to rate my progress as I am not as consistent as I would like to be. I worry about my lack of endurance and hope that it is ok to work the muscles so hard I am guessing that my endurance will pick up and my muscles will adapt. What is a good distance? I have been training jin without candles for a bit now.

My main worry is the lack of consistency, if I could get 8 out of 10 I would be happy but its more like 2 in 5 or 6 tries to put it out and one of the misses will be total and hardly move the flame at all.
Should I decrease the distance again? Lack of striking power has always bothered me I used to have bad dreams about it lol but I don't want a dead power I am looking for jin.Hard to train alone.
Last edited by John the Monkey mind on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Just had another go from about 8 inch and after some warm up go's I was getting about 90%. Still my arms are worse after that. Basically I keep my fist lose (still clenched) and squese it tight just before full straitening, it feels natural now and saves the joints except for the upper arm muscles.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 am

Sorry jpmaus, we have taken the thread off track
in answer to your question
How long have you guys been doing Kung Fu, and since what age, if you don't mind my asking? Have either of you ever competed?

I have been involved in Martial Arts for many years but due to a number of reasons I haven't trained consistently and consider my self very much a beginner. What do you mean by "Have either of you ever competed?"

Going back to a point I made earlier.

Also do some weight baring exercises on your knuckles to begin to condition your fists ready for use. Push ups with fists in vertical and horizontal position. Do these on carpet at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-c4NZqejXg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9JjSB7fBY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5-sWl0MU4
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Previous

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu