DVD "Fundamentals " Training

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

DVD "Fundamentals " Training

Postby jpmaus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:44 pm

As I live nowhere near any place that teaches Kung Fu, I'm forced to try and teach myself with the help DVDs.

I recently purchased the YMAA "Fundamental Training" DVD, as well as Steve Demasco's Five Animal set. How can Demasco and Dr.Yang be so different when both say they are teaching "Shaolin Kung Fu?" Does the YMAA teach any of the animal forms besides White Crane? Anyways, it will be months and months before I've begun to even approach anything resembling competence with the fundamental stances, and so I guess the most important questions I have are:

How long should I practice everyday?

How do I know when I am competent enough in the fundamental stances to move on?

How long will it take until I start noticing results?

Thanks Allot...
jpmaus
Forum User

Postby yat_chum » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi,

the term Shaolin kung fu encompasses a broad spectrum of systems. The Shaolin temple became a repository of Martial arts information. Think of the Shaolin temple as a library full of books (styles) over the years people have borrowed books and interpreted in the own way creating even more styles. There is also a lot of kudos to say that your style is from Shaolin.

How long should I practice everyday?

Depends on what you what to achieve.

How do I know when I am competent enough in the fundamental stances to move on?

What stances are you doing? In one style I trained in, you did horse riding stance for three months before you were allowed to do anything else. You always train the fundamentals, you just build onto them.

How long will it take until I start noticing results?

The harder you work the quicker you will see results but don't forget to rest to let your body recover.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

my advice

Postby bowser666 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:20 am

My advice is to stay away from Steve Demasco's training if your intent is to learn true Shaolin Kung Fu( Having the word Shaolin at the beginning of your style doesnt make it Shaolin). The fundamental training disc will give you plenty of training to do and probably enough to last you a year or so if you practice often. Dr. Yang's program is authentic and trusted and proven. Good luck in your training and keep at it!!
bowser666
Forum User

Postby jpmaus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks both of you... Yat_Chum, your observations about Demasco seem quite obvious to even a rank newcomer like me when I compare his DVDs to Master Yangs... I am curious how the heck that can be, you know? I am curious how Demasco can say he is teaching the "Crane Form," and yet Master Yang teaches the "Crane Form" in a completely different way!
jpmaus
Forum User

Postby jpmaus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 pm

bowser666, do you think an hour a day is enough to eventually be able to perform sequences/forms competently eventually?
jpmaus
Forum User

Postby yat_chum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:17 am

I don't know anything about the crane performed by Demasco as I haven't seen it but the crane found in the five animals set is a different crane style to that of southern crane. I'm afraid I haven't time to go into it now.

I feel that an hour a day is enough for most people, which I will also explain later.

"It's not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours."
Sam Ewing
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby jpmaus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Alright guys, I can hold Ma Bu now for 2:30, I know that is still a ways from 5:00 but I decided to start working on the hand drills anyways. My question is, with the "back fist" punches, the "reverse sideways," the "drill hand," and so on, what is the appropriate "foot work" or "stance?" Do you begin with Ma Bu and lunge into Bow and Arrow? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now, this is what I can't figure out, exactly what my stance or stances should be as I practice the hand drills....
jpmaus
Forum User

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu