White Crane & Karate

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

White Crane & Karate

Postby baihe shifu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm no expert of White Crane, but I do know something about it. In fact, I chose to make the transition to it from Karatedo/Jutsu.

Like many classical southern-based hand-practices, White Crane vigorously defends the perimeter and centreline with their powerful trapping, bridging and limb manipulation skills. The practices are based upon attack trajectories in proximity to one's position and are evident in their two-person drills, their wooden dummy training and defensive applications.

Oftentimes, I’ve been asked about my position on the origin of karate. I firmly do not believe that Karate can be traced back to Fuzhou cranes because most karate folks have little inkling or none at all about this elemental He Quan Quan Jue.

It is clearly reflected in how they move.

The usual “swallowing, spitting, sinking and floating” that you hear about is really more Fukien, like in Fukien White Crane, Ngo Chor, Tai Chor etc and Shaolin.

Fuzhou Crane on the other hand has got the additional “internal” aspect. This is manifested in all our techniques, principles and Fist Poems.

In Fuzhou Crane, we are taught that techniques are just but a manifestation of our fighting principles. Forms are the ways and not the ends. Every drills / forms and 2 man sets are designed to teach the body to behave in a certain manner during a fight. Of course the whole idea is to mimic a crane.

Fuzhou White Crane is not "Karate" nor is it related to "Hakutsuru."

Many within the martial arts world state that there exists a link from Okinawan Karate to that of Fuzhou White Crane but nothing could be further from the truth.

Fuzhou White Crane as a unique art form and tradition has no verifiable link to Okinawan Karate and even less to that which is commonly termed "Hakutsuru."

Okinawans did not get their materials from Fuzhou. They may have acquired it from Fujian / Taiwan or any other part of China but not Fuzhou.

I believe Karate researchers are better off looking at Ngo Chor (5 Elders) and Tai Chor (Grand Ancestor) rather that White Crane per se. These 2 styles are greatly influenced by Fukien White Crane and these could be their original source. The Tiger Kung Fu is the very one that the Uechi Ryu people align themselves with.

Karate contains very little White Crane. There is some Chinese connection but definitely not White Crane. Most Karate folks talk about Fuzhou White Crane but nothing they do comes close. Goju-Ryu seems more aligned to Ngo Chor. Uechi-Ryu would seem to reflect the essence of Tiger Kung Fu within its technical make-up.

Fuzhou White Crane is a totally unique art and is in no way related to modern "Crane Karate" and "Hakutsuru" as taught by other groups.

Their purported Crane kata are nothing like what we do in Fuzhou White Crane – especially in relation to fundamental root dissimilarities and not stylistics. It would seem that the only thing they obtained out of Fuzhou is the names of their katas.

As for "Hakutsuru", a few think that White Crane is just a couple of crane styles blocks and crane beak hand strikes! Much (if not all) of that passed off as "Hakutsuru" has no relation to real Fuzhou White Crane.

Finally, instead of looking to discover the long lost progenitor style from which about fifty or so Okinawan Karate Kata had come to look through the cultural differences and target individual templates; old-style forms (Taolu/Kata) brought together various templates and often were reconfigured to suit the "user."

Your thoughts please?
baihe shifu
Forum Addict

Postby yeniseri » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:30 am

Actually, the opposite is true!
The root of many Okinawan systems are South China but over time, Okinawa developed its own interpratation of those same systems.
Sanchin resembles its South China sister arts but with a different flavour! You can check out Patrick McMarthy's "Bubishi' as one reference.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu