Accreditation? Is one ‘credential’ any better than another?”

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby baihe shifu » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Prior to the development of modern martial arts there was no ranking system as we know it today. There was only the Chinese family-seniority system seen in many Chinese traditions.

With regards to ranking practices in the Orient, personality traits and conceptual and philosophical differences have prevented Chinese Boxing from achieving the one-style-fits-all mentality to allow for a unified system of ranking and credentials. This has not prevented various interpretations of Chinese Martial Arts from continuing to use varying aspects of the ranking accreditation system to their own benefit.

Accreditation and ranking credentials are subject to the relationship that exists between the Master and the student which is as it should be. No two ranks are exactly the same as each person brings to it their own personal preferences, physicality and personality.

In my own professional work I have touched on a variety of different fields. I've done my work in Youth Work (5 Years), without any professional credentials in Youth Work other than certification in Group Leadership; in this subject I am completely self-taught, and not very well taught. No one has ever asked me whether I had the appropriate credentials to operate a Youth Centre; the clients couldn't care less. What they want to know is what I had to say and do that could help them.

No one has ever objected to my right to speak and teach at martial arts workshops, classes and seminars.They want to know whether I am right or wrong, whether the subject is interesting or not, whether better approaches are possible - the teaching dealt with the subject, not with my right to discuss it.

I've repeatedly been challenged on the grounds of credentials, or asked, what special training do you have that entitles you to teach these matters. The assumption is that people like me, who are outsiders from a professional standpoint, are not entitled to speak on such things.

In true martial arts people are concerned with what you say and teach, not with your certification. But in order to speak about martial arts, you must have the proper understanding of the subject. This is found in on-going research and training (sweat!) not in pieces of paper. Particularly if you depart from the accepted framework of thinking. Generally speaking, it seems fair to say that the richer the intellectual substance of a field, the less there is a concern for credentials, and the greater is concern for content.

What truly matters is not who your trained with or were guided by, what rank they or you have nor who awarded same. What matters is the quality you bring to the arts and the character of people the training will ultimately produce. Within the White Crane Research Institute, we make good people, better.
baihe shifu
Forum Addict

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:37 pm

I take your point but a instructor with an accreditation from a well respected group or master has a certain level of quality assurance attached within his groups system of thinking or even his own but with the masters seal to say that its not rubbish.

I am not saying there are not people who are independent with a lot to teach but I am saying that a lot of people who are teaching shouldn't be.

I do get a bit frustrated with the ranking system as my circumstances have force me not move a lot and will continue to for the next few years, this means I haven't got a high belt but I do have a lot of time training under my belt lol, still its frustrating that this is not recognised. Having said that when I start a new style I could hardly claim a high level of ability.

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu